Svayambhuva, aka: Svāyambhuva; 1 Definition(s)
Svayambhuva means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
1a) Svāyambhuva (स्वायम्भुव).—A name of Nārada.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa I. 6. 3.
1b) (see Manu)1 the Devas are Yāmas, the sages are Marīci and six others besides his ten sons; all engaged in Pratisarga and attained the final bliss;2 Pṛthu milked the cow-earth with the help of Svāyambhuva Manu in his hand; to his family belonged a Prajāpati Aṅga;3 came out of the first face and of white colour;4 married Śatarūpā.5
- 1) Bhāgavata-purāṇa III. 12. 53-4; Vāyu-purāṇa 61. 119; 109. 5.
- 2) Matsya-purāṇa 9. 3-6.
- 3) Ib. 10. 3, 15.
- 4) Vāyu-purāṇa 26. 32; 61. 119; 109. 5.
- 5) Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 9. 36; Vāyu-purāṇa 10. 11-12.
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 480 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
The svāyambhuva-liṅga (स्वायम्भुवलिङ्ग) is described in the Kāmikāgama as one which rose up ...
The Svāyambhuva-Sūtra-Saṁgraha belongs to the Śaiva Siddhānta stream and is a portion of the...
Svāyambhuvāgama (स्वायम्भुवागम):—One of the 28 Śaivāgamas. This is one of the five Āga...
Svāyambhuvamanu (स्वायम्भुवमनु).—The first son of Brahmā and the first king (Samrāṭ) a...
Kṛṣṇa (कृष्ण) is the name of the ninth Vāsudeva according to both Śvetāmbara and Digambara sour...
Mandara (मन्दर).—One of the mountains of Jambūdvīpa.—Mandara has been indemnified by Nandolal D...
Bhadra (भद्र) is the name of the third Baladeva according to Śvetāmbara sources, while Digambar...
Nīla (नील, “blue”) refers to one of the found original (natural) colors (varṇa), according to N...
Viśālā (विशाला).—Illustration of the viśālā-mūrchanā according to 15th century art.—The colour ...
1) Dhruva (ध्रुव).—One of the ten sons of Priyavrata, who was a son of Svāyambhuva Man...
Niṣadha (निषध).—Niṣadha, Hemakūṭa and Himavat are said to be to the south of Jambūdvīpa. They d...
Hari (हरि).—One of the seven regions (kṣetra) of Jambūdvīpa according to Jaina cosmology. Jambū...
Bhārata (भारत).—One of the seven regions (kṣetra) of Jambūdvīpa according to Jaina cosmology. J...
1) Jayanta (जयन्त).—One of the four gates located at the four cardinal points in the fortificat...
Mahiṣa (महिष).—Description of a women of buffalo (mahiṣa) type;—A woman who has a broad backbon...
Search found 55 books containing Svayambhuva or Svāyambhuva. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the story of Svāyambhuva Manu
- · The Markandeya Purana > The Story of the Svāyambhuva Manvantara
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Descendants of Priyavrata, the eldest son of Svayambhuva Manu
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 1.102
- · Śrī Sanatkumara-saṃhita > Text 12
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 5.39
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 1.61
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 1.92
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the description of the family of Manu
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 1.63
- · The Brahma Purana > Manvantaras
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 8.413
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > An Account of the several Manus and Manvantaras
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the origin of Manu
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the narration of the family of Priyavrata
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Book One
- · The Markandeya Purana > The Sāvarṇaka Manvantara
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the description of the worlds
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Production of the mind-born sons of Brahma
- · The Brahma Purana > More Creation
» Click here to see all 55 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.