Somadatta, 6 Definition(s)
Somadatta (सोमदत्त).—The son of King Bālhīka and the grandson of King Pratīpa. He had three sons name Bhūri, Bhūriśravas, and Śala. He was killed by Sātyaki during the battle of Kurukṣetra.
1) Somadatta (सोमदत्त):—Son of Kṛśāśva (one of the two sons of Saṃyama). He satisfied Viṣṇu by performing aśvamedha sacrifices. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.2.35-36)
2) Somadatta (सोमदत्त):—Son of Bāhlīka (one of the three sons of Pratīpa). He had three sons, named Bhūri, Bhūriśravā and Śala. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.22.18-19)
Somadatta was an ally of the Kauravas. He was a suitor to Devaki, who was the mother of Krishna. He fought with Sini, who was seeking the hand of Devaki for his friend Vasudeva. The battle was hard fought and in the end Sini emerged victorious. Devaki married Vasudeva. This incident began a bitter feud between the clan of Somadatta and the Yadavas, the clan of Sini.
1. Somadatta. The Bodhisatta born as the son of the brahmin Aggidatta (q.v.).
2. Somadatta. The younger brother of Sutasoma. He is identified with Ananda. J.v.185,192.
3. Somadatta. A brahmin. For his story see the Bhuridatta Jataka. He is identified with Ananda. J.vi.219.
4. Somadatta. An elephant calf. See the Somadatta Jataka (No. 410).
5. Somadatta - A brahmin of Savatthi. He once played dice with another brahmin, Soma, and won the latters possessions, including his upper garment and signet ring. When Soma said he could not walk home barefoot, nor face his family without his ring, Somadatta returned his winnings and the two became great friends. Somadatta was later sentenced to death for repeated adultery. When Soma discovered this he offered his life instead and was killed. He was reborn as a deva and took Somadatta to the deva world for a week, sending him back with a wish conferring gem. Later Somadatta too was born near Soma. Ras.i.46f.
1. Somadatta Jataka (No. 211). The story of the Bodhisatta when he was born as the son of Agg...
Sāla (साल) is the name of a tree found in Maṇidvīpa, according to the Devī-bhāgavata-purāṇa ...
Soma (सोम) is the Sanskrit name for a deity to be worshipped during raṅgapūjā, according to ...
Bāhlika (बाह्लिक) is a Sanskrit technical term referring to a variety of prāsāda (upper stor...
1a) Bhūri (भूरि).—A son of Somadatta of the Bāhlikas; resented Sāmba's action in seizing ...
Janamejaya (जनमेजय) is the name of the King who was the son of King Parīkṣit, according to t...
1a) Sumati (सुमति).—A son of Bharata, whom he succeeded. Elevated as a deity by Pākhaṇḍas...
Aśvamedha (अश्वमेध).—Thrice performed by Yudhiṣṭhira.1 One hundred performed by Bali;2 ...
1a) Śini (शिनि).—A son of Garga and father of Gārgya; hence Gārgyas and Ṣainyas are Kṣatr...
1. Aggidatta - Chaplain to the King of Kosala, first to Mahakosala, and then to his son Pasen...
Agniśikha (अग्निशिख) is another name of Somadatta, who was a Brāhman from the city of Kauśām...
Śalya (शल्य).—The King of Madras. His sister was Mādrī who was married to Pāṇḍu. He wa...
Bhuriśravas (भुरिश्र्वस): Bhurisravas was a prince of the Balhikas and an ally of the Kauravas,...
Bhūriśravā (भूरिश्रवा):—One of the three sons of Somadatta (son of Bāhlīka). (see Bhāg...
Vasudattā (वसुदत्ता) was the wife of Somadatta, a Brāhman from the city of Kauśāmbī, accordi...
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 211. Somadatta-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume III > No. 410.: Somadatta-Jātaka.
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CXLV
- · The Narada Purana > Soudasa
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CLXXXVIII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section XXXIV
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LXXVII
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Death of Jayadratha
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section XXXIII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LXXIII
- · The Jataka, Volume V > No. 525.: Culla-Sutasoma-Jātaka.
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CXXVI
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Death of Ghatotkacha
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Kuru
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Wedding of Samba, the son of Krishna
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CXXXVI
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCXLVII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LXXX
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LVII
» Click here to see all 52 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.