Samvega, aka: Saṃvega; 2 Definition(s)
Samvega means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
saṃvega : (m.) anxiety; agitation; religious emotion.Source: BuddhaSasana: Concise Pali-English Dictionary
about this context:
Pali is the language of the Tipiṭaka, which is the sacred canon of Theravāda Buddhism and contains much of the Buddha’s speech. Closeley related to Sanskrit, both languages are used interchangeably between religions.
General definition (in Buddhism)The oppressive sense of shock, dismay, and alienation that comes with realizing the futility and meaninglessness of life as its normally lived; a chastening sense of ones own complacency and foolishness in having let oneself live so blindly; and an anxious sense of urgency in trying to find a way out of the meaningless cycle.Source: Access to Insight: A Glossary of Pali and Buddhist Terms
Search found 5 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
'the sources of emotion', or of a sense of urgency, are 8: "birth, old age, disease, death, b...
1a) Veda (वेद).—The science of Dharma together with the ācāra of those who know it.** Mat...
Janana, (adj.) (to janati) producing, causing (-°) It. 84 (anattha° dosa); J. IV, 141; Dpvs. ...
Thana, (Vedic stana; cp. Gr. sthnion=sth_qos (Hesychius)) 1. the breast of a woman D. II, 266;...
'one supported by bare insight', is the commentarial term for one who, without having attained ...
Search found 15 books containing Samvega or Saṃvega. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Catusacca Dipani > ... > The Burden Of Dukkha In The Lower Planes
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Dhammasavana
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Conclusion
- · A Treatise on the Paramis > What Are Their Characteristics
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Moha
- · A Single Mind > Read Content
- · Trishashti Shalaka Purusha Caritra > ... > Part 3: The sermon of Sūri Dharmaghoṣa
- · Trishashti Shalaka Purusha Caritra > ... > Part 14: Ṛṣabha’s sermon
- · The Treatise on the Great Virtue of Wisdom, Volume I > Rājagṛha
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Dosa
- · A Treatise on the Paramis > How Are They To Be Practised?
- · The Treatise on the Great Virtue of Wisdom, Volume I > The Great Bhikṣu Saṃgha
- · The Treatise on the Great Virtue of Wisdom, Volume I > Explanation of Arguments
- · The Treatise on the Great Virtue of Wisdom, Volume I > The Arrival of the Bodhisattvas of the Ten Directions
- · The Treatise on the Great Virtue of Wisdom, Volume IV > The Pursuit of the Six superknowledges
» Click here to see all 15 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.