Sugata, 2 Definition(s)
Sugata means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
1) Sugata, (su+gata) faring well, happy, having a happy life after death (gati): see under gata; cp. Vism. 424 (s. = sugati-gata). Freq. Ep. of the Buddha (see Dict. of Names).
—aṅgula a Buddha-inch, an inch according to the standard accepted by Buddhists Vin. IV, 168. —ālaya imitation of the Buddha J. I, 490, 491; II, 38, 148, 162; III, 112. —ovāda a discourse of the Blessed one J. I, 119, 349; II, 9, 13, 46; III, 368. —vidatthi a Buddha-span, a span of the accepted length Vin. III, 149; IV, 173. —vinaya the discipline of the Buddha A. II, 147. (Page 716)
2) Sugata.—of happy, blessed existence, fortunate; one who has attained the realm of bliss (=sugatiṃ gata, see gati), blessed. As np. a common Ep. of the Buddha: Vin.I, 35; III, 1; D.I, 49; S.I, 192; A.II, 147 et passim (see Sugata).—D.I, 83; Sn.227 (see expl. KhA 183).Source: Sutta: The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary
sugata : (adj.) faring well; happy. (m.), the Buddha.Source: BuddhaSasana: Concise Pali-English Dictionary
about this context:
Pali is the language of the Tipiṭaka, which is the sacred canon of Theravāda Buddhism and contains much of the Buddha’s speech. Closeley related to Sanskrit, both languages are used interchangeably between religions.
Search found 4 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Sugata span: an ancient measure (from the Paali) based on the length of the Buddhas cubit or fo...
1) Gata.—gone its course (of a legal enquiry, vinicchaya) Vin.II, 85 (cp. Vin Texts II...
Vidatthi, (f.) (cp. Vedic vitasti; see Geiger, P. Gr. 383) a span (of 12 aṅgulas or finger-bre...
|Ten Titles of Buddha|
represent the characteristics of Buddha 1. Tathagata - the Thus Come Ones 2. Arhat - worthy...
Search found 62 books containing Sugata. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Sections 160-161
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Section 164
- · Verses on the Perfection of Wisdom > Chapter III
- · Verses on the Perfection of Wisdom > Chapter XIV
- · The Bhikkhus Rules > ... > Lodgings
- · The Great Chariot > ... > The root, ignorance
- · The Bhikkhus Rules > ... > Luxurious Lodgings
- · The Great Chariot > ... > The teaching that if we do not try, we will not be liberated
- · Verses on the Perfection of Wisdom > Chapter XXXVIII
- · The Great Chariot > ... > 3b) Actually arousing bodhicitta
- · Verses on the Perfection of Wisdom > Chapter XXI
- · The Great Chariot > ... > There is no realization by the divisions of doctrine
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Protection Of The Aggregates
- · The Great Chariot > ... > The basis of confusion in the three worlds
- · The Perfection Of Wisdom In Eight Thousand Lines > Chapter 14
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Section 163
- · The Great Chariot > ... > The mind arising as the six collection of sense is unreal
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Section 159
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Factors Of Enlightenment
- · The Great Chariot > ... > The Teaching of the Benefits
» Click here to see all 62 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.