Mahendravarman, 1 Definition(s)
Mahendravarman means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Kathā (narrative stories)
1) Mahendravarman (महेन्द्रवर्मन्) is the name of a King, whose daughter was named Pāṭalī, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, chapter 3. Their story is told in the tale called ‘the founding of the city of Pāṭaliputra’.
2) Mahendravarman (महेन्द्रवर्मन्) is the name of a king of Ujjayinī, which is described as “the ornament of the earth”, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, chapter 11. His story is told in the “story of king Caṇḍamahāsena”. The king Mahendravarman had a son named Jayasena, who in turn had a son named Mahāsena, who later became known as Caṇḍamahāsena, after he made an oferring with pieces of his own flesh to the goddess Durgā.
The Kathāsaritsāgara (‘ocean of streams of story’) is a famous Sanskrit epic story revolving around prince Naravāhanadatta’s quest to become the emperor of the Vidhyādharas. The work is said to have been an adaptation of Guṇāḍhya’s Bṛhatkathā consisting of 100,000 verses, which in turn is part of a larger work containing 700,000 verses.Source: Wisdom Library: Kathāsaritsāgara
Kathās (कथा) are special kind of Sanskrit literature: they are a kind of a mix between Itihāsa (historical legends) and Mahākāvya (epic poetry). Some Kathās reflect socio-political instructions for the King while others remind the reader of the historical deeds of the Gods, sages and heroes.
Search found 11 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Pāṭali is no doubt the name of a species of trees, called Flueggea Leucopyrus in Latin; but ...
Mahāsena (महासेन) is the father of Candraprabha, the eighth of twenty-four Tīrthaṅkaras in...
Pālaka (पालक) is the name of one of the two sons of Caṇḍamahāsena and his wife Aṅgāravatī, acco...
Jayasena (जयसेन) is the son of Mahendravarman, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, chapter 11...
Aṅgāraka (अङ्गारक) is name of a daitya whose daughter is named Aṅgāravatī, who was foretold to ...
Vāsavadattā (वासवदत्ता).—The title of the Vāsavadattā of Subandhu, the oldest romantic novel in...
Buddhadatta, a contemporary of Buddhaghosa, was a native of Uragapura, near modern Tiruchirappa...
Caṇḍamahāsena (चण्डमहासेन).—Name of a King who was previously known as Mahāsena, accor...
Gopālaka (गोपालक) is the name of one of the two sons of Caṇḍamahāsena and his wife Aṅgāravatī, ...
Aṅgāravatī (अङ्गारवती) is the daughter of the asura named Aṅgāraka, and was foretold to be the ...
Naḍāgiri (नडागिरि) is the name of Caṇḍamahāsena’s elephant, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, ...
Search found 8 books containing Mahendravarman. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Temples in Tiruppappuliyur (Cuddalore N.T.)
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Temples in Siyamangalam
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Pallava
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Dravidian Art
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Kailasanathar Temple
- · Middle Chola Temples > ... > Temples in Tiruppainjili
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter XI
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter III
» Click here to see all 8 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.