by G. V. Tagare | 1950 | 2,545,880 words
This page describes Greatness of Prabhaseshvara (Prabhasa-ishvara) which is chapter 110 of the English translation of the Skanda Purana, the largest of the eighteen Mahapuranas, preserving the ancient Indian society and Hindu traditions in an encyclopedic format, detailling on topics such as dharma (virtous lifestyle), cosmogony (creation of the universe), mythology (itihasa), genealogy (vamsha) etc. This is the one hundred tenth chapter of the Prabhasa-kshetra-mahatmya of the Prabhasa Khanda of the Skanda Purana.
1-3. Thereafter, O beautiful woman, a pilgrim should go to the excellent shrine of Prabhāseśvara. O goddess, it is stated to be situated within a distance of seven Dhanus to the west of Gaurītapovana (penance grove of Gaurī). It is not very far away. That great Liṅga was installed by the eighth of the Vasus named Prabhāsa, who was engaged in the adoration of Śiva. O goddess of Devas, he had come to the holy spot of Prabhāsa with a keen desire for a son.
4. After installing the great Liṅga well-known as Āgneya (fiery), he performed an elaborate penance for a hundred years according to divine reckoning, O my beloved.
5. Thereafter, O great goddess, Lord Rudra became pleased with him as he had great faith. The Lord granted him what he had desired in his mind.
8. He became the fashioner of the Solar disc, the great hewer of the refulgence. The son of the eighth one among the Vasus was like this.
9. O goddess of Devas, the son of the Vasu named Prabhāsa was also engaged in the propitiation of that Liṅga. Thus, O goddess, the greatness pertaining to Prabhāseśvara has been spoken to you.
10. The greatness is destroyer of all sins. It is splendid and it fulfills all desires. A devotee should worship him with devotion and should possess perfect faith.
11. He should observe fast and recite the Śatarudriya Mantra. He should lie down on the bare ground. On the fourteenth lunar day in the month of Māgha, he should take a holy dip at the confluence with the ocean (of a river).
12. He should bathe the deity with Pañcāmṛta and worship it in accordance with the injunctions.
13. O goddess, he who performs the great festival of the chariot and concludes the pilgrimage shall be rid of all sins. He becomes prosperous with the realization of all desires. A bull should be offered as a gift there by those who wish to get the fruit of a perfect pilgrimage.