Mahabodhi, aka: Mahābodhi; 2 Definition(s)
Mahābodhi (महाबोधि).—A tīrtha sacred to the Piṭrs.*
- * Matsya-purāṇa 22. 33.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
General definition (in Buddhism)
1. Mahabodhi. See Bodhirukkha.
2. Mahabodhi. See Bodhirajakumara.
3. Mahabodhi Thera. He belonged to the Mahavihara, and wrote the Commentaries on the Paramatthavinicchaya and the Saccasankhepa. P.L.C.174.Source: Pali Kanon: Pali Proper Names
Search found 13 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
The Bodhisatta was born in an Udiccabrahmin family, and, on growing up, renounced the world. ...
1) Bodhi, 2 (=bodhi1) the tree of wisdom, the sacred Bo tree, the fig tree (Assattha, Ficus rel...
A city in Bihar state of India where prince Siddharta attained enlightenment.
Viyoga, (vi+yoga 2) separation J. VI, 482; Mhvs 19, 16 (Mahābodhi°); PvA. 160, 161 (pati° fro...
A Commentary on the Saccasahkhepa by Mahabodhi Thera. P.L.C. 205.
(Pakudha Katiyana, Kakudha Kaccayana, Kakuda Katiyana) Head of one of the six heretical sects ...
A treatise on the Abhidhamma written by Anuruddha of Kancipura. There exists a Tika on it by Ma...
1. Upatissa - The personal name of Sariputta (q.v.). 2. Upatissa - Purohita to Vijaya, king ...
Head of one of the six heretical sects mentioned in the Pitakas as being contemporaneous with...
The Kalinga king of Dantapura had two sons, Maha Kalinga and Culla Kalinga. Soothsayers foret...
Mahavihara Mahavihara The great monastery at Anuradhapura, for many centuries the c...
Mālin, (adj.) (fr. mālā) 1. wearing a garland (or row) of flowers (etc.) Pv III, 91 (=mālābhāri...
A province of Ceylon, identified with the modern Jaffna peninsula and the north west of Ceylo...
Search found 14 books containing Mahabodhi or Mahābodhi. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Jataka, Volume V > No. 528.: Mahābodhi-Jātaka.
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > The Ancient Center Of Buddhist Studies
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Seeing A Rainbow Body In A Dream
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > The Site Of Shakyamunis Austerities
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 177. Tiṇḍuka-Jātaka
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > The Site Of Buddha's Enlightenment
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > The Site Of Buddha's First Sermon
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > The Buddha on the So-Called Creator-God
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Watching Sunrise And Cremation
- · The Jataka, Volume II > Index of Names and Pali Words
- · The Mahavamsa > The Visit Of The Tathagata
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Kathmandu
- · The gods of northern Buddhism > The Buddhas
- · A Dictionary Of Chinese Buddhist Terms > Fifteen Strokes
» Click here to see all 14 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.