Kundalasamudra, aka: Kuṇḍalasamudra, Kundala-samudra; 1 Definition(s)
Kundalasamudra means something in Jainism, Prakrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
General definition (in Jainism)
Kuṇḍalasamudra (कुण्डलसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Kuṇḍaladvīpa (or simply Kuṇḍala), according to Jain cosmology. The Kuṇḍalasamudra and Kuṇḍaladvīpa are situated in the middle-world (madhyaloka), which contains innumerable concentric continents (dvīpa), each surrounded by their own ocean. The middle-world, as opposed to the upper-world (adhaloka) and the lower-world (ūrdhvaloka), is the only world where humans can be born. Kuṇḍalasamudra is also known as plainly Kuṇḍala.
Kuṇḍalasamudra is recorded in ancient Jaina canonical texts dealing with cosmology and geography of the universe. Examples of such texts are the Saṃgrahaṇīratna in the Śvetāmbara tradition or the Tiloyapannatti and the Trilokasāra in the Digambara tradition.Source: Wisdom Library: Jainism
Search found 128 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Kuṇḍala (कुण्डल) refers to an “ear-ring” and is classified as an ornament (ābharaṇa) for the ea...
Samudra (समुद्र) is the Sanskrit name for a deity to be worshipped during raṅgapūjā, accordi...
Kuṇḍaladvīpa (कुण्डलद्वीप) is one of the continents (dvīpa) of the middle-world (madhyaloka), e...
Samudra-muhūrta (समुद्र-मुहूर्त):—Name for a specific portion or phase of the day, use...
The piscatory group may be roughly divided into two broad subdivisions, such as the Marine a...
Śaṅkhavarāvabhāsasamudra (शङ्खवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the c...
Rucakavarasamudra (रुचकवरसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of ...
Devasamudra (देवसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Devadvīpa...
Yakṣasamudra (यक्षसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Yakṣadv...
Ardhahārasamudra (अर्धहारसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of ...
Śaṅkhasamudra (शङ्खसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Śaṅkha...
Kanakāvalivarasamudra (कनकावलिवरसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the contin...
Patrakuṇḍala (पत्रकुण्डल):—One of the five kinds of commonly known ear-ornaments (kuṇḍ...
Kṣododasamudra (क्षोदोदसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Kṣ...
Aruṇavarāvabhāsasamudra (अरुणवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the co...
Search found 84 books containing Kundalasamudra, Kuṇḍalasamudra or Kundala-samudra. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.67
- · Śrī Sanatkumara-saṃhita > Text 125
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.71
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.361
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.190
- · Trishashti Shalaka Purusha Caritra > ... > List of 14 ornaments
- · The Mundaka Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Verse 2.1.9
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the narration of the family of Priyavrata
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with L
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCLXII
- · Sushruta Samhita, Volume 6: Uttara-tantra > ... > Treatment of Pittaja Ophthalmia
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.21
- · The Prashna Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Verse 6.5
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Bronze, group 3: Age of Parantaka I (a.d. 907 - 950)
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XXVII
- · Śrī Kṛṣṇa-vijaya > Description of the Lord's Four-armed Form (Hillola-rāga)
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section LVII
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.6.92
- · The Markandeya Purana > Kuvalayāśva’s marriage with Madālasā
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.144
» Click here to see all 84 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.