Bodhicitta, aka: Bodhi-citta; 4 Definition(s)
Bodhicitta means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
General definition (in Buddhism)
Bodhichitta Skt., lit., “awakened mind”; the mind of enlightenment, one of the central notions of Mahāyāna Buddhism. In the Tibetan tradition it is seen as having two aspects, relative and absolute. The relative mind of enlightenment is divided again into two phases
- the intention and wish, nurtured by limitless compassion, to attain liberation (nirvāna) for the sake of the welfare of all beings and
- actual entry into meditation, the purpose of which is the acquisition of the appropriate means to actualize this wish.
The absolute mind of enlightenment is viewed as the vision of the true nature of phenomena. The various methods for arousing the mind of enlightenment stem primarily from Atīsha and entered into all schools of Tibetan Buddhism through him.Source: Shambala Publications: General
A Mahayana technical term meaning "thought of enlightenment". Bodhicatta is believed to be the prerequisite to actual entry onto bodhisattva path.Source: Buddhism Tourism: Glossary of Buddhist Terms
In Buddhism, bodhicitta (Jp:. bodaishin, Tibetan: jang chub sem) is the wish to attain complete enlightenment (that is, Buddhahood) in order to be of benefit to all sentient beings - beings trapped in cyclic existence (samsara) and have not yet reached Buddhahood. One who has bodhicitta as the primary motivation for all of his or her activities is called a bodhisattva.Source: WikiPedia: BuddhismThe mind of enlightenment. It is with this initiative that a Buddhist begins his path to complete, perfect enlightenment.Source: Buddhist Door: Glossary
Search found 763 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Cittā (चित्ता) is the name of a mind-born ‘divine mother’ (mātṛ), created for th...
1) Bodhi, 2 (=bodhi1) the tree of wisdom, the sacred Bo tree, the fig tree (Assattha, Ficus rel...
Cittānupassanā:—the critique of heart, adj. °ânupassin D.II, 299; III, 221, 281; ...
Akusala citta and akusala cetasika are akusala dhammas, dhammas which are unskilful, unprofi...
The smile-producing consciousness of the arahat. (Abhidhamma in Daily Life, Chapter 9)
When the citta is wholesome, kusala, all accompanying cetasikas are also kusala, even those kin...
Seeing-consciousness is vipakacitta (citta which is result).
Cittasālā—a painted room or picture gallery DA.I, 253;
Cittāgāra—a painted house, i.e. furnished with pictures; a picture gallery Vin.IV, 29...
Cittamudutā—plasticity of mind (or thought) Dhs.62, 277, 325;
Cittakathika—=°kathin A.I, 24; Th.2, 449 (+bahussuta), expld at ThA.281 by cittad...
Cittavikkhepa—(cp. °kkhepa) madness S.I, 126 (+ummāda); Nett 27; Vism.34; ...
Cittakamma—decoration, ornamentation, painting J.IV, 408; VI, 333; Miln.278; Vism.3...
Cittasantāpa—“heart-burn, ” sorrow PvA.18 (=soka);
Cittapāṭalī—Name of a plant (the “pied” trumpet-flower) in the world of As...
Search found 981 books containing Bodhicitta or Bodhi-citta. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Great Chariot > ... > 3b) Actually arousing bodhicitta
- · The Great Chariot > ... > 2c) The benefits of the bodhicitta of aspiring
- · The Mahavamsa > The Receiving Of The Great Bodhi-tree
- · The Mahavamsa > The Coming Of The Bodhi-tree
- · Anāgārika Dharmapāla > Mahā Bodhi Journal
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 1 > ... > Citta
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > Citta And Cetasika
- · Anāgārika Dharmapāla > Establishment of the Mahā Bodhi Society: 1891
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > Citta Knows an Object
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > How Citta Conditions Rupa
- · The Jataka, Volume IV > No. 443.: Culla-Bodhi-Jātaka.
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > Functions of Citta
- · The Great Chariot > ... > B. the extensive explanation of arousing bodhicitta
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 1 > ... > The Cognitive Process and some characteristics of Citta
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > A Process of Citta
- · Abhidhamma in Daily Life > The First Citta In Life
- · The Great Chariot > Bodhicitta, the Mind Focused on Complete Enlightenment
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > The Nature Of Javana-citta
- · Abhidhamma in Daily Life > Different Aspects Of Citta
- · Abhidhamma in Daily Life > Different Types Of Patisandhi-citta
» Click here to see all 981 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.