by Manmatha Nath Dutt | 1897 | 293,872 words | ISBN-10: 8178542188 | ISBN-13: 9788178542188
This page is entitled “kalayavana agrees to kill krishna” and represents Chapter 55 of the second book (‘Vishnu Parva’) of the Harivamsa (English translation in Prose). The Harivamsha Purana narrates the lineage and life-story of Krishna (Hari). Although not officially mentioned in the list of Puranas, this book includes topics such as geology, creation theory, time (manvantaras), ancient historical legends and accounts of royal dynasties.
2. Kalayavana said:—Oh! highly honored and blessed I am;and my life is crowned with success since numberless kings have requested me for vanquishing Krishna.
4. While the kings, with delighted hearts, have declared my victory I shall, by the very pouring of their water-like words, achieve success.
5. Whatever it may be, I shall carry out the command of the Emperor Jarasandha issued at the request of the kings. Even my discomfiture in it will be, tantamount to my success.
7. Vaishampayana said:—Having thus addressed the powerful Shalya the king of Saubha, the lord of Yavanas honored him duly with highly precious jems and dresses.
8-9. Afterwards for acquiring unstinted blessings he gave away various riches to his guest and the Brahmanas and duly offered libations to fire. Then after the performance of benedictory rites he set out with his army for vanquishing Janarddana.
10. O foremost of Bharatas, king Shalya too, with his desire fully achieved, embraced the lord of Yavanas and set out with a delighted heart for his own city.