Megasthenes, 1 Definition(s)
Megasthenes means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
General definition (in Hinduism)
Megasthenes, Greek ambassador to the Mauryan court of Chandragupta at Pataliputra during the fourth century B.C. In his Indika, Megasthenes noted that “Heracles [Krishna] is held in especial honor by the Sourasenoi, an Indian tribe who possess two large sites, Methora and Cleisbora, and through whose country flows a navigable river called Iobares”.Source: The Greek Myths, Vol.1: Atlas and Prometheus
Search found 3 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Arbuda (अर्बुद) is the name of a sacred site (pīṭha) presided over by Mahānāsā, according to th...
Susoma (सुसोम) is the name of a Buddha under whom Śākyamuni (or Gautama, ‘the historical Buddha...
pāṭaliputta : (nt.) name for a city in Magadha, (present of Patna).
Search found 6 books containing Megasthenes. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 2 > ... > Viṣṇu, Vasudeva and Kṛṣṇa
- · A Short History of Lanka > The Beginnings
- · List of Mahabharata tribes > Tribes listed on Kaurava
- · Satapatha Brahmana > ... > Introduction to volume 1 (kāṇḍa 1-2)
- · A Dictionary Of Chinese Buddhist Terms > Fifteen Strokes
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Sacred Prostitution
» Click here to see all 6 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.