Eightfold Path, aka: Eightfold Way; 5 Definition(s)
Eightfold Path means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
General definition (in Buddhism)
There are also eightfold paths:
1) noble eightfold path (āryāṣṭāṅgamārga);
2) paths of the eight liberations (vimokṣa).
There are innumerable eightfold paths of this kind.Source: Wisdom Library: The Treatise on the Great Virtue of Wisdom, Volume IV
s. magga.Source: Pali Kanon: Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines
The factors of the eightfold Path are:
- right understanding
- right thinking
- right speech
- right action
- right livelihood
- right effort
- right mindfulness
- right concentration
The Eightfold Path which is the way leading to the end of suffering is these eight factors:
- Right understanding,
- Right Thoughts,
- Right Speech,
- Right Action,
- Right livelihood,
- Right Effort,
- Right Mindfulness,
- Right Concentration.
It could be pointed out that the Eightfold Path is often taught as a "path" which one follows by developing each of the factors piece by piece until there are all perfected. In the Abhidhamma it is made clear that the Eightfold Path is in fact only momentary phenomena like everything else.
The Eightfold Path is not a "whole path" which one follows, but at the moment that a wholesome moment of wisdom (the wisdom that understands the true nature of things) arises then it is accompanied by the Eightfold Path factors as mental factors (cetasikas).Source: Dhamma Study: Introduction to the Dhamma
The eight right ways for the Arhat leading to Nirvana. The eight are:
- Right View;
- Right Thought;
- Right Speech;
- Right Action;
- Right Livelihood;
- Right Effort;
- Right Remembrance;
- Right Concentration.
Search found 2025 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Magga, (cp. Epic Sk. mārga, fr. mṛg to track, trace) 1. a road (usually high road), way, foot-p...
Viśuddhā (विशुद्धा).—A group of gods of the X epoch of Manu.** Viṣṇu-purāṇa III. 2. 25.
Generally, it refers to the Way of Bodhi or enlightenment leading to Nirvana through spiritual ...
|Four Noble Truths|
Four noble truths (Skt., ārya-satya; Pali, ariya-satta); these are the basis of the Buddhist...
Paccaya, (fr. paṭi+i, cp. Ved. pratyaya & P. pacceti, paṭicca) lit. resting on, falling back on...
Bhūmi (भूमि) is a synonym for adhiṣṭhāna (‘platform’), according to the Kāś...
There are also threefold paths (to go directly to nirvāṇa): A) Three kinds of bad paths ...
There are also twofold paths (to go directly to nirvāṇa): bad path (akuśala-mārga) a...
Samādhi (समाधि, “concentration”).—One of the ten guṇas (merits) of a kāvya (dramatic play);—Des...
There are also fourfold paths: 1) the path of worldly people (pṛthagjanamārga), the pat...
Nibbāna, (nt.).—I. Etymology. Although nir+vā “to blow”. (cp. BSk. nirvāṇa...
There are also fivefold paths: 1) path of the damned (nārakamārga), path of the animals...
There are also sixfold paths: 1) path of the damned (nārakamārga), path of the animals ...
There is a simple path (ekayāna) to go directly to nirvāṇa: this is mindfulness (smṛti) and ...
Search found 2708 books containing Eightfold Path or Eightfold Way. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · A Sketch of the Buddha's Life > As Long As The Noble Eightfold Path Is Practiced
- · The Four Noble Truths > ... > The Eightfold Path As A Reflective Teaching
- · Buddha, the Word > The Eightfold Path
- · Practicing Insight on Your Own > Tracing The Eightfold Path In The Four Satipatthana
- · Mental Development in Daily Life > The Eightfold Path
- · A Sketch of the Buddha's Life > ... > The Noble Eightfold Path
- · Mental Development in Daily Life > Factors Of The Eightfold Path
- · Cetasikas > ... > Right Effort Of The Eightfold Path
- · Buddha, the Word > Development of the Eightfold Path
- · Dhammasangani > ... > The Category Of Form Under An Eightfold Aspect
- · Brahma Sutras (Shankara Bhashya) > ... > Adhikarana I - The path connected with deities beginning with that of the flame is the only path to Brahmaloka
- · A Brief Outline of Buddhism > The Middle Path
- · Fundamentals of Vipassana Meditation > Noble Path
- · Conditions > Path-condition
- · The Buddha > The Middle Path
- · The Catusacca Dipani > ... > The Interpretation Of Magga-sacci
- · The Dawn of the Dhamma > ... > The Path Beyond
- · Vipassana Meditation > ... > Purification Of Knowledge
- · Buddhism in a Nutshell > The Path To Nibbana
- · The Great Chariot > ... > A. The stages of entering the path of Mahayana
» Click here to see all 2708 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.