Gambhiradharma, aka: Gambhīradharma, Gambhira-dharma; 1 Definition(s)
Gambhiradharma means something in Buddhism, Pali. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Mahayana (major branch of Buddhism)
Gambhīradharma (गम्भीरधर्म) refers to the “the profound dharmas” according to the Mahāprajñāpāramitāśāstra chapter X. Accordingly, the Bodhisattvas have crossed over to the other shore of the patience relating to the profound dharmas. What are the profound dharmas (gambhīradharma)?
1) The twelve causes and conditions (dvādaśa-hetupratyaya) are called gambhīradharma.
2) Also, we call gambhīradharma the breaking of the thread (jāla) of the sixty-two wrong views (dṛṣṭigata) relating to the past (atīta) and the future (anāgata).
3) The three gates of deliverance (vimokṣamukha) are also called (gambhīradharma) as the Buddha said in the Prajñāpāramitā.
4) The explanation of the nature of all dharmas is also called gambhīradharma: the true (satya) nature, indestructible (akṣaya) and immutable (akṣobhya, acala).
5) Finally, we also call gambhīradharma the exclusion of inner conceptual knowledge and the fixing of the concentrated mind on the pure true nature of all dharmas.(Source): Wisdom Library: Maha Prajnaparamita Sastra
Mahayana (महायान, mahāyāna) is a major branch of Buddhism focusing on the path of a Bodhisattva (spiritual aspirants/ enlightened beings). Extant literature is vast and primarely composed in the Sanskrit language. There are many sūtras of which some of the earliest are the various Prajñāpāramitā sūtras.
Search found 1908 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Dharma (धर्म) refers to the “medium of motion” according to the 2nd-century Tattvārthasūtra 5.1...
gambhīra (गंभीर).—a Deep. Fig. Grave, solemn, staid, reflecting, thoughtful. Deep or full- a so...
Kṣatradharma (क्षत्रधर्म).—1) bravery, military heroism; क्षत्रधर्महतः (kṣatradharmahataḥ) Ms.5...
Dharmapāla (धर्मपाल) of Laramā is the name of one of the teachers of Dhīreśvarācārya (1851...
dharmaśāstra (धर्मशास्त्र).—n The code or body of Hindu law.
Dharmaśālā (धर्मशाला).—1) a court of justice, tribunal. 2) any charitabla institution. Dharmaśā...
The four aspects of the Dharmakāya are part of the Sixteen Aspects (ṣoḍaśākārā) of Gnosis (j...
Dharmadāna (धर्मदान) refers to “generosity of the Dharma” and represents one of the three kinds...
Dharmadhātu (धर्मधातु) or simply dharma refers to the “thought element” and represents one of t...
varṇadharma (वर्णधर्म).—m Function peculiar to a caste.
dharmōpadēśa (धर्मोपदेश).—m religious and moral instruction.
kuladharma (कुलधर्म).—m A religious practice descended through a race.
Dharmacakṣus (धर्मचक्षुस्) or simply Māṃsa refers to the ”dharma eye“ and represents one the “f...
Gambhīrapāṇilekha (गम्भीरपाणिलेख) refers to “deep hand lines” and represents the forty-fourth o...
Gaṃbhīranābhi (गंभीरनाभि) refers to “deep navel” and represents the thirty-seventh of the eight...
Search found 1 books and stories containing Gambhiradharma, Gambhīradharma or Gambhira-dharma. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles:
Maha Prajnaparamita Sastra (by Gelongma Karma Migme Chödrön)
Bodhisattva quality 23: endowed with utmost patience < [Chapter XII - Unhindered Mind]
Bodhisattva quality 10: patience relating to the profound dharmas < [Chapter X - The Qualities of the Bodhisattvas]
Bhūmi 6: the ground of presence (abhimukhī) < [Chapter XX - (2nd series): Setting out on the Mahāyāna]
- Was this explanation helpful? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.