Bhavishyapurana, aka: Bhavishya-Purana, Bhaviṣyapurāṇa; 1 Definition(s)
Bhavishyapurana means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
The Sanskrit term Bhaviṣyapurāṇa can be transliterated into English as Bhavisyapurana or Bhavishyapurana, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
Bhaviṣyapurāṇa (भविष्यपुराण).—(Bhaviṣyam)—one among the mahāpurāṇas; comprises 14,500 ślokas; narrated by Brahmā to Manu containing the māhātmyam of the sun, and the account of Aghora kalpa with the characteristics of Bhūtagrāma; he who makes a gift of it with a kumbha on the Full Moon day of the Puṣya month gets the fruits of the Agniṣṭoma; Lomaharṣaṇa revealed it to the sages.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa XII. 7. 24; 13. 6. Matsya-purāṇa 50. 68, 73-77; 53. 31-33. Vāyu-purāṇa 104. 3; Viṣṇu-purāṇa III. 6. 22.
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 11264 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1a) Purāṇa (पुराण).—On measurement of time.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 21. 137.1b) Originally...
Viṣṇupurāṇa (विष्णुपुराण).—One among the eighteen Purāṇas; comprises 23,000 ślokas.** Bhā...
Vijayā (विजया) refers to “the triumphant one” and is the presiding deity of mṛdu (‘tender’), ac...
Brāhmapurāṇa (ब्राह्मपुराण).—Also Brāhmam; one of the eighteen mahāpurāṇas; comprises 10,...
Kāla (काल, “time”) is a type tuṣṭi (complacence), classified internal (ādhyātmika) according to...
Kṛṣṇa (कृष्ण) is the name of the ninth Vāsudeva according to both Śvetāmbara and Digambara sour...
Jayā (जया) refers to “the victorious one” and is the presiding deity of suśobhī (‘very brillian...
Māyā (माया).—What is meant by māyā? Deceitful disposition of the soul caused by a particular co...
Śiva (शिव) is the father of Puruṣasiṃha: the fifth Vāsudeva according to both Śvetāmbara and Di...
Agni (अग्नि, “fire”) refers to one of the devatāpañcaka (fivefold divinities), defined in the T...
Brahma (ब्रह्म) refers to an aspect of nṛsiṃha (‘man-lion’), according to the Vihagendra-saṃhit...
Yama (यम).—Yama also called Daṇḍa and Antaka bas been mentioned fifty times in Ṛgveda and three...
Sarasvatī (सरस्वती) is worshipped above all for speech, knowledge, and music. Amongst the early...
Ṛṣabha (ऋषभ).—Illustration of the ṛṣabha-svara according to 15th century art.—The colour of the...
Bhadra (भद्र) is the name of the third Baladeva according to Śvetāmbara sources, while Digambar...
Search found 514 books containing Bhavishyapurana, Bhavishya-Purana or Bhaviṣyapurāṇa. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 17. The Gāruḍa Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 12. The Varāha Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 1. The Brahmā Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 18. The Brahmāṇḍa Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 14. The Vāmana Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 3. The Viṣṇu Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 6. The Naradīya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 13. The Skanda Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 15. The Kūrma Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 10. The Brahma-vaivartta Purāṇa
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 4 > ... > The Bhāgavata-purāṇa (introduction)
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 4. The Vāyavīya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 16. The Matsya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 9. The Bhaviṣya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 8. The Agni Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 7. The Mārkaṇḍeya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 11. The Linga Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 2. The Padma Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Date of the Viṣṇu Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The greatness of the Vishnu-purana
» Click here to see all 514 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.