Bhaviṣyapurāṇa, aka: Bhavishya-Purana; 1 Definition(s)
Bhaviṣyapurāṇa means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
The Sanskrit term Bhaviṣyapurāṇa can be transliterated into English as Bhavishyapurana or Bhavisyapurana, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
Bhaviṣyapurāṇa (भविष्यपुराण).—(Bhaviṣyam)—one among the mahāpurāṇas; comprises 14,500 ślokas; narrated by Brahmā to Manu containing the māhātmyam of the sun, and the account of Aghora kalpa with the characteristics of Bhūtagrāma; he who makes a gift of it with a kumbha on the Full Moon day of the Puṣya month gets the fruits of the Agniṣṭoma; Lomaharṣaṇa revealed it to the sages.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa XII. 7. 24; 13. 6. Matsya-purāṇa 50. 68, 73-77; 53. 31-33. Vāyu-purāṇa 104. 3; Viṣṇu-purāṇa III. 6. 22.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 10186 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1a) Purāṇa (पुराण).—On measurement of time.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 21. 137.1b) Originally...
Viṣṇupurāṇa (विष्णुपुराण).—One among the eighteen Purāṇas; comprises 23,000 ślokas.** Bhā...
1a) Vijayā (विजया) is the mother of Ajita, the second of twenty-four Tīrthaṅkaras in Jani...
Brāhmapurāṇa (ब्राह्मपुराण).—Also Brāhmam; one of the eighteen mahāpurāṇas; comprises 10,...
Kāla (काल) is the name of class of piśācas according to both the Digambara and Śvetāmbara tradi...
Māyā (माया).—What is meant by māyā? Deceitful disposition of the soul caused by a particular co...
1a) Kṛṣṇa (कृष्ण) is the name of a mountain situated at lake Asitoda and mount Vipula, accor...
Jayā (जया) is the mother of Vāsupūjya according to Śvetāmbara (but she is named Vijayā accordin...
Yama (यम).—Yama also called Daṇḍa and Antaka bas been mentioned fifty times in Ṛgveda and three...
Śiva (शिव).—Śiva along with Brahmā and Viṣṇu make up the Hindu Triad. He is the most favourite ...
Agni (अग्नि, “flames”).—The fourteenth of “fourteen dreams” of Triśalā.—Ghee and honey is poure...
Brahmā (ब्रह्मा).—Brahmā is one of the principal deities and formst along with Viṣṇu and Śiva, ...
Sarasvatī (सरस्वती) or Bhāratī is born from the mouth of Brahmā and is the goddess of speech an...
Bhadrā (भद्रा, “gentle-woman”) refers to a specific “mode of address” (nāman) used in drama (nā...
Bhīma (भीम) is the name of class of rākṣasas according to both the Digambara and the Śvetāmbara...
Search found 514 books containing Bhaviṣyapurāṇa or Bhavishya-Purana. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 17. The Gāruḍa Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 12. The Varāha Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 1. The Brahmā Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 18. The Brahmāṇḍa Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 14. The Vāmana Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 3. The Viṣṇu Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 6. The Naradīya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 13. The Skanda Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 15. The Kūrma Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 10. The Brahma-vaivartta Purāṇa
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 4 > ... > The Bhāgavata-purāṇa (introduction)
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 4. The Vāyavīya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 16. The Matsya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 9. The Bhaviṣya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 8. The Agni Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 7. The Mārkaṇḍeya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 11. The Linga Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 2. The Padma Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Date of the Viṣṇu Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The greatness of the Vishnu-purana
» Click here to see all 514 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.