Ahimsra, Ahiṃsra: 5 definitions
Ahimsra means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Languages of India and abroad
Sanskrit-English dictionarySource: DDSA: The practical Sanskrit-English dictionary
Ahiṃsra (अहिंस्र).—a. Harmless, innocent; Ms.4.246.
-sraḥ, -srā Name of a plant (kulika Mar. phaḍyā nivaḍuṃga or karkaṭī)
-sram Harmless behaviour, innocence; Ms.1.29.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Shabda-Sagara Sanskrit-English Dictionary
(-sraḥ-srā-sraṃ) Innocuous, innocent, harmless. f.
(-srā) The name of a plant, commonly Kurkavali: see karkaṭā. E. a neg. and hiṃsrā injurious: than which there is none more so.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Cappeller Sanskrit-English Dictionary
Ahiṃsra (अहिंस्र).—[adjective] = ahiṃsaka.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
1) Ahiṃsra (अहिंस्र):—[=a-hiṃsra] [from a-hiṃsaka] mfn. innocuous, harmless, [Kauśika-sūtra; Kātyāyana-śrauta-sūtra] etc.
2) [v.s. ...] n. harmless behaviour, [Manu-smṛti i, 29]
3) Ahiṃsrā (अहिंस्रा):—[=a-hiṃsrā] [from a-hiṃsra > a-hiṃsaka] f. the plant Momordica Cochinchinensis Spreng. (commonly called Kūrkavāli), [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
4) [v.s. ...] the plant Capparis Sepiaria, [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
5) [v.s. ...] Cactus Opuntia, [Bhāvaprakāśa]
Sanskrit, also spelled संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam), is an ancient language of India commonly seen as the grandmother of the Indo-European language family. Closely allied with Prakrit and Pali, Sanskrit is more exhaustive in both grammar and terms and has the most extensive collection of literature in the world, greatly surpassing its sister-languages Greek and Latin.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Ends with: Himsrahimsra.
Search found 1 books and stories containing Ahimsra, A-himsra, A-hiṃsra, A-hiṃsrā, Ahiṃsra, Ahiṃsrā; (plurals include: Ahimsras, himsras, hiṃsras, hiṃsrās, Ahiṃsras, Ahiṃsrās). You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles: