Vishnudurga, aka: Viṣṇudurga, Vishnu-durga; 1 Definition(s)
Vishnudurga means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
The Sanskrit term Viṣṇudurga can be transliterated into English as Visnudurga or Vishnudurga, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
Viṣṇudurga (विष्णुदुर्ग).—Viṣṇudurga, which are found in good number. This form of Durga is commonly noticed in almost in all the temples built in the Tamil tradition. The Texts prescribe that the northern and southern walls of the antarāla are to be installed with the images of Mahiṣamardini and Gaṇeśa respectively. Therefore, the sculptures of Viṣṇudurga are found carved in the northern niche of almost all the temples.Source: Shodhganga: Temples of Salem region Up to 1336 AD
about this context:
Vāstuśāstra (वास्तुशास्त्र, vastu-shastra) refers to the knowledge of architecture. It is a branch of ancient Indian science dealing with topics such architecture, construction, sculpture and their relation with the cosmic universe.
Search found 353 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Viṣṇu (विष्णु).—Viṣṇu, a deity of Ṛgveda is reborn in Puranic Pantheon and has acquired a new g...
Durga (दुर्ग, “protector”) refers to one of the fifty-six vināyakas located at Kāśī (Vārāṇasī),...
Viṣṇupurāṇa (विष्णुपुराण).—One among the eighteen Purāṇas; comprises 23,000 ślokas.** Bhā...
Giridurga (गिरिदुर्ग).—The best of six hill fortresses.** Matsya-purāṇa 217. 7.
Mahīdurga (महीदुर्ग).—One of six kinds of fortresses.** Matsya-purāṇa 217. 6.
1) Viṣṇukānta (विष्णुकान्त) refers to a variety of prāsāda (‘superstructure’, or...
Dhanvadurga (धन्वदुर्ग) is ‘the fortification in the midst of a desert’, called ...
Viṣṇupura (विष्णुपुर).—Sacred to Viṣṇu; attained by Heti after having been killed by Viṣn...
Viṣṇuloka (विष्णुलोक).—The abode of Viṣṇu1 in Pāṇḍaveśam; attained by one who bathes in ...
Viṣṇuśakti (विष्णुशक्ति).—Three-fold; ability to perceive the absolute truth, ability to ...
Naradurga (नरदुर्ग).—One of the 6 kinds of fortresses.** Matsya-purāṇa 217. 6.
Viṣṇumūrti (विष्णुमूर्ति) refers to “images of Viṣṇu”.The term is used throughou...
Viṣṇudūta (विष्णुदूत).—The messengers of Lord Viṣṇu who come to take perfected devotee...
The autumnal Durgā Pūjā, the ten-lunar-day worship of the goddess Durgā, also known as Caṇḍī...
The Durgāpūjātattva (दुर्गापूजातत्त्व, “The truth concerning the rite of Durgā”)...
Search found 867 books containing Vishnudurga, Viṣṇudurga or Vishnu-durga. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the rite of investing an image of Vishnu with the holy thread
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The mode of worshipping the deities, Durga, etc.
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the installation of Durgā Devī in the city of Benares
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The contemplation of Vishnu
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Vishnu Mantra
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Fortification (durga)
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The mode of worshipping the Gopala Manifestation of Vishnu
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The prayer of Vishnu Panjaram
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Worship of Vinayakas Durga
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The Vishnu-Dharma Vidya
- · The Garuda Purana > Lord Vishnu’s Incarnations
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Vishnu Bhakti
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The hymn to Vishnu composed by the holy Markandeya
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Vishnu Bhakti (continued)
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the mode of worshipping Vishnu
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of another form of Vishnu worship
- · The Garuda Purana > Lord Vishnu Reveals His Omnipotent Nature
- · Yoga Vasistha Volume 2, Part II > ... > The Spiritual and Formal Worship of Vishnu
- · The Garuda Purana > Lord Vishnu Blesses Garuda
- · Yoga Vasistha Volume 2, Part II > ... > Prahlāda’s Faith in Vishnu
» Click here to see all 867 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.