Guru, 12 Definition(s)
Guru (गुरु):—One of the two sons of Saṅkṛti (son of Nara, who was one of the five sons of Manyu). (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.21.2)
Syllables in a pada are also classified as metrically short (laghu "light") or long (guru "heavy"): a syllable is metrically short only if it contains a short vowel and is not followed by consecutive consonants in the same pada. All other syllables are long, by quality (having a long vowel or diphthong) or by position (being followed by a consonant cluster).
Guru is Brahma, Vishnu and Siva all rolled into one. Guru is Gu and Ru; Gu is darkness and Ru is remover. Guru dispels darkness, sin, and ignorance. Once Guru purifies himself both externally and internally and assumes the body of the deity he worships and propitiates, the body of the Guru is the same as the deity; his disciple receives a bit of the effulgence from the grace of the Guru. Initiation by mind (manasi Diksa is the best of all Diksas. I will give you an idea of external purification of the body that the disciple should undergo at the beginning. He awakens in the morning; clears his mind of all impure thoughts; scrapes the coated tongue, cleans the mouth and face, and takes a bath.
In Kashmir Saivism Guru is not necessary for initiation. Abhi says that by acquiring Pratyabhijna, one can bypass Guru initiation. When all the Malas are removed, Spiritual knowledge descends into the soul of the individual and that is called SaktipAta, also called Sattinipatam (ºò¾¢¿¢À¡¾õ) in Saiva Siddhanta of Tamil Nadu.
Guru，（adj.-n.） (a younger form of garu （q．v.）； Sk．guru) venerable，reverend，a teacher VvA.229，230 （°dakkhiṇā a teacher’s fee）； PvA.3 （°janā venerable persons）； Sdhp.227 （°ûpadesa），417．（Page 253）
guru : (m.) a teacher. (adj.), heavy; venerable.
Guru (गुरु): Revered preceptor, A spiritual teacher. In contemporary India, the title and term "Guru" is widely used within the general meaning of "wise man".
A holy teacher. Occasionally, a Brahmin who teaches.
|· Guru Yoga||
GURU YOGA (Skt.; Tib. = lame neljor) Ritual practice within Tibetan Vajrayana Bu...
|· Root Guru||
The principal Spiritual Guide from whom we have received the empowerments, instr...
|· Guru Pūrṇimā||
Guru Pūrṇimā (गुरु पूर्णिमा): The day of full moon, Purnima, in the month of Ash...
|· Guru Granth Sahib||
Guru Granth Sahib is more than just a scripture of the Sikhs, for the Sikhs t...
|· Guru Deva Rinpoche||
Lobsang Tenzin Gyatso Pal Sangpo, The Lord of Dharma. Born in Inner Mongolia (Or...
PADMASAMBHAVA (Tib. Pema Jungne, Guru Rinpoche). Semi historical Indian tantric ...
|· Yeshe Tsogyel||
YESHE TS OGYEL. 8th century Tibetan woman and Tantric consort of PADMASAMBHAVA. ...
|· Mul Mantra||
The Mool Mantar is the most important composition contained within the Sri Gu...
In Vajrayana, the term for teacher or guru. He is usually the head of a monaster...
Also called Guru, he is the preceptor of the Devas. Brihaspati is the son of ...
|· Śāmbhava Upāya||
Sambhavopaya = Śāmbhava Upāya. (the means or path of Sambhava or SamAvesa = I...
The Purvamnaya contains Vidyās for three gurus sva-guru, parama-guru ...
|· Śrī Vidyā||
Śrī Vidyā is one of the most comprehensive and popular Vidyās in Śāktā. In th...
anupāya : (m.) wrong means.
|· Japji sahib||
Japji Sahib is the first sacred composition found in the main Sikh holy scrip...
- · Śrī Gauḍīya Kaṇṭhahāra > Guru-tattva
- · The Way of the White Clouds > ... > The Guru Appears
- · The Way of the White Clouds > ... > Meeting with the Guru
- · The Way of the White Clouds > ... > The Guru's Passing Away
- · The Olive Fairy Book > The Five Wise Words of the Guru
- · The Way of the White Clouds > ... > The Guru's Vision
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Pilgrimage To Guru Chens Stupa In Taiwan
- · Parables of Rama > ... > The Story of Guru Nanak
- · Vivekachudamani > Verse 519
- · The Garuda Purana > Grihasta Ashram
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.2.83
- · A Golden Ring > Supplications
- · Vivekachudamani > Verse 474
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.1.197
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.2.236
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.1.193
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Preliminary Services
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Preparation
- · Mul Mantra > Read Contents
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.2.57
» Click here to see all 605 search results in a detailed overview.