by Vettam Mani | 1975 | 609,556 words | ISBN-10: 0842608222
This page describes the Story of Bhagadatta included the Puranic encyclopaedia by Vettam Mani that was translated into English in 1975. The Puranas have for centuries profoundly influenced Indian life and Culture and are defined by their characteristic features (panca-lakshana, literally, ‘the five characteristics of a Purana’).
2) He was present at the wedding of Pāñcālī. (Ādi Parva, Chapter 185, Verse 12).
4) The triumphal tour of Arjuna in connection with the Rājasūya yajña performed by Yudhiṣṭhira evoked feelings of jealousy in the heart of Bhagadatta, and he fought against Arjuna. The courage and prowess Arjuna exhibited in the fight astonished Bhagadatta, who congratulated Arjuna on his supreme courage and admitting defeat yielded to Arjuna. (Sabhā Parva, Chapter 26, Verse 7).
5) Bhagadatta, along with the Yavanas was present at the Rājasūya of Yudhiṣṭhira. He also made presents of horses of very high pedigree and very costly gems etc. (Sabhā Parva, Chapter 51, Verse 14).
7) In the great war he, with his army, fought on the side of Duryodhana. (Udyoga Parva, Chapter 19, Verse 15).
9) He was defeated in his fight with Ghaṭotkaca. (Bhīṣma Parva, Chapter 64, Verse 59).
10) In the fight which took place after the above defeat Bhagadatta caused Bhīmasena to faint in the field. (Bhīṣma Parva, Chapter 64, Verse 13).
11) And after that he defeated Ghaṭotkaca in fight. (Bhīṣma Parva, Chapter 83, Verse 40).
12) Next ensued the combat with King Daśārṇa in which the King was defeated. (Bhīṣma Parva, Chapter 95, Verse 48).
13) It was not long after this that Bhagadatta cut off the hands of the Kṣatradeva. (Bhīṣma Parva, Chapter 95, Verse 73).
15) Bhagadatta and Sātyaki fought against each other. (Bhīṣma Parva, Chapter 111, Verse 7).
16) Chapters 113 and 114 of the Bhīṣma Parva describe the combats fought by Bhagadatta with Bhīmasena and Arjuna.
18) Bhagadatta killed king Daśārṇa. (Droṇa Parva, Chapter 26, Verse 38).
19) Bhagadatta killed Ruciparvan. (Droṇa Parva, Chapter 26, Verse 52).
20) He shot the Vaiṣṇavāstra (arrow given by Viṣṇu) on Arjuna. (Droṇa Parva, Chapter 29, Verse 17).
21) Arjuna killed Bhagadatta. (Droṇa Parva, Chapter 29, Verse 48).