Mahabharata Clans, Kings, Cities, Rivers And Places
(Author: Laxman Burdak, IFS, D-4/14 Char Imli, Bhopal )
Here is the partial alphabetical list of the Clans, Kings, Cities, Rivers, Mountains, Places and Countries as mentioned in Mahabharata in various Chapters. The Sanskrit equivalent is given in bracket as recorded in Mahabharata with the section where it appears in the epic in the style (Parva.Chapter.Shloka). English translation of Online Mahabharata is given in the style (Parva.Chapter). Here (C) = City, (D) = Desha (Country), (F) = Forest, (L) = Lady name, (M) = Mountain (N) = Nagavanshi King, (N) = Pond/Lake, (R) = River, (Ri) - Rishi, (S) = Spot, (T) =Tirtha (Pilgrim) , (W) = Weapon name,
We have based on Mahabharata Index Online Sanskrit text and Mahabharata Index Online English text for our content in this compilation.
The main chapters dealing with such lists are given in the following section.
Mahabharata Chapters dealing with Kings and clans
Given below is the list of chapters on which this compilation is mainly based.
I = Adi Parva: The Book of the Beginning: Introduction, birth and upbringing of the princes. History of the Bharata race and the Bhrigu race
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 35 - Names of the principal Naga chiefs
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 57 - Names of all those Nagas that fell into the fire of the snake-sacrifice
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 63 - Uparichara (Vasu), conquered kingdom of Chedi
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 65 - Birth of all creatures
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 66 - Genealogy of all the principal creatures
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 67 - Genealogy of the Danavas, Asuras, Kauravas, Pandavas, Gandharvas, Apsaras, Rakshasas
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 75 - Genealogies of Yadavas, Kurus, Bharatas
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 94 - History of Puru and Pandavas (Aila dynasty)
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 95 - History and family tree of Puru, Bharatas and Pandavas commencing from Daksha
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 158 - Pandavas move forest to forest
- Mahabharata Book I Chapter 188 - Kshatriyas came on Swayamvara of Draupadi
II = Sabha Parva: The Book of the Assembly Hall: Life at the court, the game of dice, and the exile of the Pandavas. Maya Danava erects the palace and court (sabha), at Indraprastha.
- Book II Chapter 9 - Sabha of Varuna attended by Nagas:
- Book II Chapter 13 - List of Kshatriyas fled to other countries out of fear of Jarasandha
- Book II Chapter 24 - Arjuna subjugated countries in north
- Book II Chapter 25 - Arjuna subjugated countries in north
- Book II Chapter 26 - Bhimasena subjugated countries in east
- Book II Chapter 27 - Bhimasena subjugated countries in east
- Book II Chapter 28 - Sahadeva subjugated countries in south
- Book II Chapter 29 - Nakula subjugated countries in south
- Book II Chapter 31 - Kshatriyas brought tributes on Rajasuya sacrifice of Yudhisthira
- Book II Chapter 47 - Kings who brought tributes to Yudhishthira
- Book II Chapter 48 - Kings who brought tributes to Yudhishthira
III = Vana Parva: The Book of the Forest: The twelve years in exile in the forest (aranya).
- Book III Chapter 48 - Rajasuya sacrifice of Yudhisthira attended by the chiefs of many islands and countries
- Book III Chapter 80 - Merit attached to tirthas
- Book III Chapter 81 - Mentions names of Pilgrims
- Book III Chapter 82 - Tirthas of Dharma
- Book III Chapter 83 - Mentions names of Pilgrims
- Book III Chapter 85 - tirthas and regions of eastern country
- Book III Chapter 86 - Tirthas of South
- Book III Chapter 87 - Tirthas of West
- Book III Chapter 88 - Tirthas of North
- Book III Chapter 174 - Pandvas journey twelfth year of their sojourn in forests, reach Saraswati River
IV = Virata Parva - The Book of Virata: The year in exile spent at the court of Virata.
- Book IV Chapter 1 - Pandavas pass their days undiscovered in Viratanagara; mention the surrounding kingdoms
V = Udyoga Parva - The Book of the Effort: Preparations for war
- Mahabharata Book V Chapter 72 - Kings of races known for the destruction of their kinsmen
- Mahabharata Book V Chapter 103 - Bhogavati city and innumerable Nagas described
VI = Bhisma Parva - The Book of Bhishma: The first part of the great battle, with Bhishma as commander for the Kauravas.
- Book VI Chapter 10 - Geography of Bharatavarsha, Mountains, Rivers, Provinces, Kings & Kshatriyas : Long list of 300 clans
VII = Drona Parva,
VIII = Karna Parva
- Mahabharata Book VIII Chapter 4 - Kings slain in war
- Mahabharata Book VIII Chapter 17 - Elephant-warriors fighting war
- Mahabharata Book VIII Chapter 30 - Karna said bitter words to Madra king Shalya quoting brahmanas about the Vahikas, Madrakas;Jarttikas, Arattas.
- Mahabharata Book VIII Chapter 51 - 17th day of war terrible massacre of Kshatriyas
IX = Shalya Parva - The Book of Shalya, last part of battle with Shalya as commander.
- Book IX Chapter 36 - Baladeva tracks River Sarasvati, mentions people and forest
- Book IX Chapter 44 - the ceremony for investing Kartikeya with the status of generalissimo (सेनागणाध्यक्ष), the diverse gods, various clans who joined it about 350
- Book IX Chapter 45 - List of the mothers (about 200) who became companions when Skanda was installed
X = Sauptika Parva,
XI = Stri Parva ,
XII = Shanti Parva,
XIII = Anusasana Parva -
- Book XIII Chapter 4 - Genealogy of Viswamitra.
- Book XIII Chapter 115 - List of Kings who had abstained from eating meat in Karttika month.
XIV = Aswamedha Parva,
- Book 14 Chapter 8 - List of names of Shiva
XV = Ashramavasika Parva,
XVI = Mausala Parva,
XVII = Mahaprasthanika Parva,
XVIII = Svargarohana Parva