by G. V. Tagare | 1950 | 2,545,880 words
This page describes Glory of Jalaprabhasa (Jala-prabhasa) which is chapter 196 of the English translation of the Skanda Purana, the largest of the eighteen Mahapuranas, preserving the ancient Indian society and Hindu traditions in an encyclopedic format, detailling on topics such as dharma (virtous lifestyle), cosmogony (creation of the universe), mythology (itihasa), genealogy (vamsha) etc. This is the one hundred ninety-sixth chapter of the Prabhasa-kshetra-mahatmya of the Prabhasa Khanda of the Skanda Purana.
O goddess, listen to the excellent greatness of that deity. When the genocide of Kṣatriyas was carried out by Rāma, the son of Jamadagni, O fair lady, he was overcome with a great deal of contemptuous disgust in his mind.
5. Then Mahādeva became pleased and appeared before him directly and said, “O sage of excellent Vratas, I wish to grant you boons; choose the boons that you wish to have.”
7-8. After having massacred many Kṣatriyas, I felt a great revulsion and contemptuous disgust. By viewing your Liṅga, perhaps, this feeling may perish. With your favour, O Śaṅkara, may my sin be destroyed entirely.”
11. That is because you say that you have been overwhelmed by revulsion, disgust and sin. O excellent Brāhmaṇa, by means of physical touch, I shall eradicate it!
12-13a. O highly intelligent one, a great Liṅga will come up in the middle of this meritorious expanse of water. Do view it. The entire revulsive feelings will vanish and you will be free from sins.
13b. After this was spoken (the Liṅga) came up from the centre of the watery expanse, O lady of excellent countenance.
14. Therefore, its name Jalaprabhāsa spread over the earth. O goddess, by touching it, a man will be able to go to Śivaloka.
15. If the devotee feeds a Brāhmaṇa of praiseworthy holy vows here, I shall undoubtedly be considered to have been fed in the company of my wife.
16. This origin of Jalaprabhāsa has been narrated to you by me. When listened to, it suppresses sins and bestows all desired benefits.