by G. V. Tagare | 1950 | 2,545,880 words
This page describes Greatness of Ashtashashti Tirthas which is chapter 109 of the English translation of the Skanda Purana, the largest of the eighteen Mahapuranas, preserving the ancient Indian society and Hindu traditions in an encyclopedic format, detailling on topics such as dharma (virtous lifestyle), cosmogony (creation of the universe), mythology (itihasa), genealogy (vamsha) etc. This is the one hundred ninth chapter of the Tirtha-mahatmya of the Nagara-khanda of the Skanda Purana.
1. O lady of excellent countenance, thus everything that I have been asked, has been narrated to you. This group of Tīrthas is the essence of all the Tīrthas.
2. O lady of great beauty, I abide in all these Tīrthas by my name. So also in the other Tīrthas for the benefit of Devas.
3. A man who takes his holy bath in all these Tīrthas, visits me, and glorifies me with eulogies addressed to me by name shall certainly attain salvation.
Śrī Devī said:
4. O Lord, what is the name whereby you should be glorified in a specific holy spot? If I am your beloved, O Lord, say this holly.
22. Thus, O goddess, the sixty-eight of them have been specifically enumerated to you. It is destructive of all the sins in the case of those who read or listen to them.
23. Hence, all clever (sensible) persons should assiduously glorify these names three times a day. They should remain pure. Especially those with the initiation in Śaiva doctrines should recite these.
24. O excellent lady, if these names are kept written in the house, no defect arising from spirits and ghosts can happen in that house.
25. O lady of excellent countenance, there shall be no fear of ailments, serpents, thieves or others such as kings at any time or any place.