by J. L. Shastri | 1970 | 616,585 words
This page relates “greatness of the moon-crested pashupatinatha” as found in the Shiva-purana, which, in Hinduism, represents one of the eighteen Mahapuranas. This work eulogizes Lord Shiva as the supreme deity, besides topics such as cosmology and philosophy. It is written in Sanskrit and claims to be a redaction of an original text consisting of 100,000 metrical verses.
The sages said:—
2. Please narrate the sacred glory oí the sin-destroying phallic images that are in the northern quarter.
3. O brahmins, listen with respect. I shall succinctly explain the particular glory of the northern phallic images of Śiva.
4. There is another shrine Gokarṇa destructive of great sins. There is an extensive holy forest there.
5. The moon-crested Śiva’s phallic image, excellent of all, is situated there. It was installed by Rāvaṇa with great devotion and it confers all accomplishments.
6. O great sages, its situation there, is for the benefit of the people as that of Vaidyanātha, the ocean of mercy.
7. Taking the ceremonial ablution in Gokarṇa and worshipping the moon-crested Śiva, the devotee attains Śívaloka. True. It is true undoubtedly.
8. It is impossible to describe in detail the excessively wonderful glory of the moon-crested lord Śiva who has a great affection for his devotees.
9. Somehow the extreme grandeur of the phallic Śiva has been explained to you. Now listen to that of the other phallic image.
11. After going there and taking the due ceremonial ablution in the sacred pond, the devotee shall worship this image reverentially.
12. The idol of Dadhīca should be duly worshipped for the propitiation of Śiva by those who seek the fruit of the pilgrimage.
13. O excellent sages, if this is duly performed, the devotee will feel contented. After enjoying all pleasure here he will attain the supreme goal hereafter.
15. O great sages, enjoyment of worldly pleasures and salvation here and hereafter will fall to the lot of even sinful persons who visit and worship it,
16. The phallic image destructive of sins, in the holy centre of Hatyāharaṇa should be particularly worshipped. It destroys even the sins of several slaughters.
17. Laliteśvara, the phallic image of Śiva in the holy centre Devaprayāga should be worshipped by men. It is destructive of all sins.
19. That phallic image is in the form of the crest. I shall narrate the story in the description of Kedāreśvara.
20. Close to it lies the wonderful phallīc image Muktinātha. Its very sight and worship bestows worldly enjoyment here and liberation hereafter.
21. O great sages, the excellent phallic images in the four quarters have been thus described to you all. What else do you wish to hear.