by Hermann Oldenberg | 1886 | 27,910 words
The Grihya-sutra of Paraskara, which belongs to the White Yajurveda and forms an appendix to Katyayana's Shrauta-sutra, has been edited, with a German translation. Alternative titles: Pāraskara-gṛhya-sūtra (पारस्कर-गृह्य-सूत्र), Grhya, Pāraskaragṛhyasūtra (पारस्करगृह्यसूत्र), Paraskaragrihyasutra, Paraskaragrhyasutra....
1. Now (follows) the penance for a student who has broken the vow of chastity.
2. On a new-moon day he shall sacrifice an ass on a cross-road (to the goddess Nirṛti).
3. (And) he shall offer a mess of cooked food to Nirṛti.
4. The Avadāna portions are sacrificed into water (and not into fire).
5. The Puroḍāśa (or sacrificial cake), which belongs to the animal sacrifice, is cooked on the ground (and not in the Kapālas).
6. (The guilty person) should put on the skin (of the ass),
7. With the tail turned upwards, according to some (teachers).
8. He should through one year go about for alms, proclaiming his deed.
9. After that time he sacrifices two Ājya oblations with (the formulas), 'O Lust, I have broken my vow of chastity. I have broken my vow of chastity, O Lust. To Lust svāhā!''O Lust, I have done evil. I have done evil, O Lust. To Lust svāhā!'
10. He then approaches (the fire) with (the verse), May the Maruts besprinkle me, may Indra, may Bṛhaspati, may this Agni besprinkle me with offspring and with wealth.'
11. This is the penance.
Footnotes and references:
12, 1. See the parallel passages quoted by Professor Bühler in his note on Āpastamba I, 26, 8 (S.B.E., II, 85), and besides, Kātyāyana I, I, 13 seqq.; Gautama XXIII, 17 seqq., &c.
This Sūtra is identical with Kātyāyana I, I, 16.
This Sūtra is identical with Kātyāyana I, 1, 15.
Baudhāyana II, 1, 34,
Baudhāyana II, 1, 35.