by Hermann Oldenberg | 1886 | 14,135 words
The Khadira-Grihya has evidently been composed with the intention of abridging Gobhila’s very detailed and somewhat lengthy treatise on the domestic rites The Grihya-sutra ascribed to Khadiracarya belongs to the Drahyayana school of the Sama-veda, which prevails in the south of the Indian peninsula, and it is based on the Gobhiliya-sutra. Alterna...
1. In the eastern part of his dwelling he should besmear (the place on which the sacrifice will be
2, 1. pūrve bhāge veśmano gomayenopalipya tasya madhyadeśe lakṣaṇaṃ kuryād.
2. To the south he should draw a line from west to east.
3. From the beginning of that line (he should draw a line) from south to north; from the end (of the last-mentioned line) one from west to east; between (the first and the third line) three (lines) from west to east.
4. He besprinkles that (place) with water,
5. Establishes the fire (thereon),
6. Wipes along around (the fire) with the three verses, 'This praise' (MB. II, 4, 2-4).
7. To the west of the fire he touches the earth with his two hands turned downwards, with (the verse), 'We partake of the earth’s' (MB. II, 4, 1).
8. In night-time (he pronounces that Mantra so that it ends with the word) 'goods' (vasu).
9. Having strewn Darbha grass to the west (of the fire), let him draw (some grass) from the south-end and from the north-end (of what he has strewn), in an eastern direction.
10. Or let him omit this drawing (of Darbha grass to the east),
11. And let him strew (the grass) beginning in the east, so as to keep his right side turned to the
2. dakṣiṇataḥ prācīṃ rekhām ullikhya. 3. tadārambhād udīcīṃ tadavasānāt prācīṃ tisro madhye prācīs. 4. tad abhyukṣyā. 5. ऽgnim upasamādhāya. 6. imaṃ stomam iti parisamūhya tṛcena. 7. paścād agner bhūmau nyañcau pāṇī kṛtvedam bhūmer iti. 8. vasvantaṃ rātrau. 9. paścād darbhān āstīrya dakṣiṇataḥ prācīṃ prakarshed uttarataś cā. 10. ऽprakṛṣya vā. 11. pūrvopakramaṃ pradakṣiṇam agniṃ stṛṇuyān mūlāny agraiś chādayan trivṛtaṃ pañcavṛtaṃ vo.
12. Sitting down he cuts off two span-long Darbha points, not with his nail, with (the words), 'Purifiers are ye, sacred to Viṣṇu.'
13. He wipes them with water, with (the words), 'By Viṣṇu's mind are ye purified.'
14. Holding them with his two thumbs and fourth fingers so that their points are turned to the north, he three times purifies the Ājya (with them), with (the words), 'May the god Savitṛ purify thee with this uninjured purifier, with the rays of the good sun.'
15. Having sprinkled them (with water) he should throw them into the fire.
16. Having put the Ājya on the fire he should take it (from the fire) towards the north
17. Bending his right knee he should pour out to the south of the fire his joined hands full of water with (the words), 'Aditi! Give thy consent!'
18. To the west with (the words), Anumati! Give thy consent!'
19. To the north with (the words), 'Sarasvatī! Give thy consent!'
12. ऽpaviśya darbhāgre prādeśamātre prachinatti na nakhena pavitre stho vaiṣṇavyāv ity. 13. adbhir unmṛgya Viṣṇor manasā pūte stha ity. 14. udagagreऽnguṣṭhābhyām anāmikābhyāṃ ca saṃgṛhya trir ājyam utpunāti devas tvā Savitotpunātv achidreṇa pavitreṇa vasos sūryasya raśmibhir ity. 15. abhyukṣyāgnāv anuprahared. 16. ājyam adhiśrityottarataḥ kuryād. 17. dakṣiṇajānvakto dakṣiṇenāgnim Aditeऽnumanyasvety udakāñjaliṃ prasiñced. 18. Anumateऽnumanyasveti paścāt. 19. Sarasvate [sic, comp. Hiraṇyakeśi-Gṛhya I, 1, 2, 9] ṇumanyasvety uttarataḥ.
20. With (the words), 'God Savitṛ! Give thy impulse!' (MB. I, 1, 1) he should sprinkle (water) round the fire so as to keep his right side turned towards it, encompassing what he is going to offer (with the water).
21. (This he does) once or thrice.
22. He puts a piece of wood on (the fire).
23. He should murmur the Prapada formula (MB. II, 4, 5), hold his breath, fix his thoughts on something good, and should emit his breath when beginning the Virūpākṣa formula (MB. II, 4, 6).
24. At ceremonies for the attainment of special wishes (he should do so) for each of the objects (which he wishes to attain).
25. He should do so always at sacrifices.
20. deva Savitaḥ prasuveti pradakṣiṇam agniṃ paryukṣed abhipariharan havyaṃ. 21. sakṛt trir vā. 22. samidham ādhaya. 23. prapadaṃ japitvopatāmya kalyāṇaṃ dhyāyan vairūpākṣam ārabhyocchvaset. 24. pratikāmaṃ kāmyeshu. 25. sarvatraitad dhomeshu kuryāt.
Footnotes and references:
2, 1 seqq.=Gobhila I, 1, 9 seqq.
6-8 = IV, 5, 3 seqq.
9-11 = I, 7, 9 seqq.
12-16 = I, 7, 21-27.
17-21 = I, 3, 1 seqq.
22 = I, 8, 26.
23 = IV, 5, 6 seqq.
24, 25 desunt.