by Manmatha Nath Dutt | 1897 | 293,872 words | ISBN-10: 8178542188 | ISBN-13: 9788178542188
This page is entitled “krausthu’s family” and represents Chapter 34 of the first book (‘Adi Parva’) of the Harivamsa (English translation in Prose). The Harivamsha Purana narrates the lineage and life-story of Krishna (Hari). Although not officially mentioned in the list of Puranas, this book includes topics such as geology, creation theory, time (manvantaras), ancient historical legends and accounts of royal dynasties.
Chapter 34 - Krausthu’s Family
1-2. Vaishampayana said:—Krausthu had two wives Gandhri and Madri; of them Gandhari gave birth to the highly powerful Anamitra and Madri to Yudhajit and Devamidusha. There came into being three offshoots of the Vrishni race,.
3. Madri’s son begat two sons Vrishni and Andhaka. Vrishni’s sons were Shaphalka and Citraka.
4. Wherever, O king, the virtuous souled Shaphalka lived there existed no fear of disease or of draught.
5. O foremost Bharatas, once on a time Indra, the god of rain, poured no showers in the territories of the king of Kashi for three years.
6. The king accordingly brought the reverend Shaphalka to his kingdom. In consequence of his living there Indra showered rain.
7. Shaphalka obtained as his wife Gandini the daughter of the king of Kashi. She every day used to distribute kine amongst the Brahmanas.
8-10. She lived in her mother’s womb for many years. For her living in her mother’s womb for many years, her father said to her:—"Be born very soon. May you farewell, why do you live there?" The daughter from the womb replied "I shall daily give away a cow. If you agree to this I shall take my birth." The father, saying "So be it," satisfied the wishes of his daughter.
11. Shaphalka begat on Gandini the heroic and liberal Akrura, who was well read in Shastras, celebrated many Yajnas, gave away many presents and was fond of guests.
12-13. Upasanja, Shadgu, Mridara, Arimejaya, Arikshipta, Upeksha, Shatrughna, Arimarddana, Dharmadhrik, Yatidharma, Gidhramoja, Andhaka, Avahu, and Prativahu were Akrura’s brothers. And the beautiful Sundari was his sister.
14. O descendant of Kuru, Akrura begat on Sugatri the daughter of Ugrasena, Prasena and Upadeva powerful like the celestials
15-17. Prithu, Viprithu, Ashvagriva, Ashvavahu, Suparshvaka, Gaveshi, Aristhanemi, Ashva, Sudharma, Dharmavrit, Suvahu and Vahuvahu were the sons of Akrura’s brother Citraka. He had also two daughters by name Shravishta and Sravana. Kraushthu’s third son Devamidusha begat on Ashmaki a son by name Shura. He begat ten sons on his Bhoja queen.
18-20. Amongst them the mighty armed Vasudeva, surnamed Anakadunduvi was born first. At the time of his birth bugles were sounded in heaven and the great sound of kettle-drums arose on earth. A great shower of flowers took place at the house of Shura. Vasudeva’s beauty was matchless in the world of men. That foremost of men was beautiful like the moon.
21-23. Then were born in order Devabhaga, Devashrava, Anadrishti, Kanavaka, Vatsavan, Grinjima, Shyama, Shamika and Gandusha. These were the ten sons of Shura. Besides he had five beautiful daughters, namely Prithukirti, Prithu, Shratadeva, Shrutashrava and Rajadhidevi. Every one of them gave birth to heroic sons. O descendant of Kuru, the king Kunti wanted Pritha.
24. Therefore Shura conferred her on the aged and worshipful Kuntibhoja. On her thus being adopted by Kuntibhoja she passed by the name of Kunti.
25. Anta begat Jagrehu on Shrutadeva. The king of Chedi begat on Shrutashrava the highly powerful Shishupala.
26-27. He was in his previous birth the Daitya king Hiranyakashipu. Vriddhasharma begat on Prithukirti the highly powerful hero Dantavakra the king of Karusha. Kuntibhoja adopted Pritha as his daughter. Pandu married her.
28-29. Dharma begat on her the pious Yudhishthira, Vayu (Wind-god) begat Bhimasena and Indra the foremost of heroes Dhananjaya, equally powerful like him and celebrated in the world. From Anamitra, the youngest of Vrishni’s sons was born Shini.
30-31. His son was Satyaka whose sons were Yuyudhana and Satyaki. Yuyudhana’s son was Asanga whose son was Bhumi. His son was Yugandhara with whom the family ended. The great Uddhava was Devabhaga’s son. He was known as the foremost of the learned and was illustrious like a celestial.
32. Anadhrishthi begat on his wife Ashmaki an illustrious son by name Nivartashatru. Devashrava begat a son by name Shatrughna.
33. Devashrava’s son Ekalavya was brought up by Nishadas and was accordingly called Naishadi.
34. Vatsavan had no issue and therefore Shura’s son the powerful Vasudeva gave him his own be gotten heroic son Kaushika.
35. Gandusha too had no issue and therefore Vishvaksena gave him his four sons namely Carudeshna, Sucharu, Pancala and Kritalakshmana.
36. The heroic (Carudeshna) never used to come back from a battle without fighting. O foremost of men, the large-armed Roukshmineya was the youngest of all.
37. Whenever he used to travel thousands of crows followed him with the hope "We shall feed upon the sweet meat of various animals slain by Carudeshna".
38-39. Kanavaka had two sons Tantrija and Tantripala. Avagrinjima had two sons Vira and Ashvahanu. Both of them were heroes. Shyama’s sons were Sumitra and Shamika. The latter obtained the kingdom. He considered himself unworthy for being the king of one province and accordingly undertook the celebration of a Rajashuya sacrifice.
40. Having secured the help of Yudhishthira who had no enemies he slew all his foes. Hear, I shall now describe the descendants of Vasudeva.
41. He who meditates on this very powerful threefold Vrishni race consisting of many branches is never visited by any misfortune in this world.
Footnotes and references:
A low caste people.
It is a religious ceremony which only an Emperor can perform when he becomes Lord Paramount after subjugating all the Powers. The king Shamika was not satisfied with his being the king of one Province only.