by Shree Gulabkunverba Ayurvedic Society | 1949 | 81,637 words | ISBN-13: 9788176370813
The English translation of the Charaka Samhita (by Caraka) deals with Ayurveda (also ‘the science of life’) and includes eight sections dealing with Sutrasthana (general principles), Nidanasthana (pathology), Vimanasthana (training), Sharirasthana (anatomy), Indriyasthana (sensory), Cikitsasthana (therapeutics), Kalpasthana (pharmaceutics) and Sidd...
178. Now begins the section on wines (Madya—madyavarga):—
The General qualities of wine
Wine is naturally acid and hot in taste and is considered, to be acid on digestion. This is its general property. Its specific characteristic will now be described.
The Qualities of Sura wine
The Qualities of Madira wine
180.The Madira wine is beneficial in hiccup, dyspnea, coryza, cough, scybalous stools, anorexia vomiting constipation and obstipation and is curative of Vata.
The Qualities of Jagala wine
The Qualities of Medicated wine
182. The Arishta [ariṣṭa] or medicded [medicated?] wine is curative of consumption, piles, assimilation-disorders, anemia, anorexia, fever and other diseases when, these arise from Kapha. It is an appetizer and digestive-stimulant.
The Qualities of Sugar wine
183.The sugar wine is palatable and a light intoxicant. It is fragrant, curative of painful urinary disorders, promotive of digestion, a cardiac tonic, and is promotive of complexion on assimilation.
The Qualities of Pakvarasa wine
184. The Pakvarasa wine is appetizer, digestive-stimulant, cordial, beneficial in consumption, edema and piles and is considered curative of Kapha-disorders and disorders born of the overuse of unctuous articles. It promotes complexion.
The Qualities of Shitarasika (Seetarasika) wine
185 The Shitarasika [śītarasika] wine is pro-motive of digestion, curative of obstipation and clarifies the voice and complexion. It is a revulswe [revulsive?] and is beneficial in edema, abdominal affections and piles.
The Qualities of Gur wine
186. The gur wine loosens and evacuates feces and flatus. It is nourishing and digestive-stimulant. he Gouda wine is considered beneficial in anemia and wounds. It is couside red a digestive stimulant.
The Qualities of Sura, Madhvasava and Maireya wines
The Qualities of Fulsee flower, Grape, and Sugar cane wines
188 Fulsee flower wine is cordial, dry, appetizing and digestive. The grape and sugarcane wines are like Madhvika wine but is not very hot.
The Qualities of Honey wine
189.The honey wine is appetizing, digestive-stimulant cordial, strengthening. not antagonistic to Pitta, curative of constipation and Kapha. It is light and sightly increases Vata.
The Qualities of Barley-sura wine And the Madhulika-sura wine
The Quality of Sauviraka and Tushodaka wines
191. The Sauviraka [sauvīraka] and Tushodaka [tuṣodaka] wines are digestive-stimulant, promotive of digestion, curative of cardiac disorders, anemia and of worms, beneficial in assimilation-disorders and piles and are laxative.
The Qualities of Sour-conjee wine
192. The sour-conjee wine is curtive of burning and fever in the form of application; in the form of potion, it is curative of Vata, Kapha and constipation and is a laxative and digestivestimulant.
Old wine and wine taken in proper dose
193-195. Fresh wine is generally heavy and provocative of the humors, and old wine is purificative of bodychannels, digestive-stimulant, light and appetizing. Wine is exhilarating, pleasant, strengthening and relives fear, grief and fatigue. It gives courage, virility, meatal exaltation, satisfaction, plumpness and vitality. If it is taken by virtuous men in proper manner and systematically, it acts like nectar.
Thus, the seventh section concerning wines (Madya—madyavarga) has been described.