by Shree Gulabkunverba Ayurvedic Society | 1949 | 81,637 words | ISBN-13: 9788176370813
The English translation of the Charaka Samhita (by Caraka) deals with Ayurveda (also ‘the science of life’) and includes eight sections dealing with Sutrasthana (general principles), Nidanasthana (pathology), Vimanasthana (training), Sharirasthana (anatomy), Indriyasthana (sensory), Cikitsasthana (therapeutics), Kalpasthana (pharmaceutics) and Sidd...
The General Qualities of Rice
The varieties of rice known as the red rice, the big rice the Kalama the Sakunahrita [śakunāhṛta], the Turnaka [tūrṇaka], the Dirghashuka [dīrghaśūka], the Gaura, the Panduka [pāṇḍuka], the Langula [lāṅgula], the Sugandhaka, the Sarivakhya [sārivākhya], the Lohavala [lohavāla], the Sarivakhya [sārivākhya], the Pramodaka, the Patanga [pataṅga], the Tapaniya [tapanīya] and other good varieties of rice are cooling, sweet in taste and post-digestion, slightly Vata-stimulant and form condensed and scanty stools. They are unctuous, roborant, seminiferous and diuretic.
The Special Qualities of red Shali and other kinds of rice
11. The red rice is the best of them. It is adipsous and curative of tri-discordance The next best is the big rice and next to it is the Kalama and so on, in the order they are mentioned.
12. The Yavaka, Hayana [hāyana], the Pamsuvapya [pāṃsuvāpya], (deep-water paddy), Naishadhaka [naiṣadhaka] and other kinds of rice are similar to the above mentioned rices with regard to both their good and bad qualities.
The Quality of Shashtika rice
The qualities of other kinds of rice
The qualities of Vrihi rice
The Qualities of Koradua, Syamaka and other grass Grains
16.Sanwa millet along with common millet is astringent and sweet in taste, light, Vata-stimulant, diminishes Kapha and Pitta, is cooling, astringent and desiccant in action.
The Qualities of Barley
19. The barley is dry, pooling, not heavy, sweet in taste, increases exccessively Vata and feces, stabilises, is astringent in action, promotive of strength and curative of the disordence of Kapha
The qualities of Bamboo barley
20. The bamboo seeds are considered to be dry, astringent in aftertaste, sweet, curative of Kapha and Pitta; they remove fat, worms and effects of poison and are strengthening.
The Qualities of Wheat
21. Wheat is. synthesizing, curative of Vata, sweet, cooling, vitalizing, roborant, aphrodisiac, unctuous, stabilizing and heavy.