by N. Chidambaram Iyer | 1884 | 135,584 words | ISBN-13: 9788171104215
This page describes the time of fruition of effects (paka-adhyaya) which is the ninety-seventh Chapter of the English translation of the Brihat-samhita. This work, written by Varahamihira in the 6th century, is classified as jyotisha literature, also known as Indian astronomy. It contains however, also content regarding astrology, palmistry, agriculture, gardening, perfumes, medicines and various other encyclopedic topics.
1. In the case of the Sun, the effects will occur after a fortnight; in the case of the Moon, after a month; in the case of Mars after the same period as that stated for the retrograde motion of planets; in the case of Mercury the effects will occur before his disappearance and in the case of Jupiter, after a year.
2. In the case of Venus, the effects will occur after 6 months; in the case of Saturn after a year and in the case of Rāhu after 6 months. If the matter refers to a Solar eclipse the effects will occur after a year and in the case of solar spots known as Tvāṣṭra and Kīlaka, the effects will be felt that same day (vide stanzas 6 and 7 of chapter-3 of Part-I).
3. Effects of phenomena connected with the appearance of dark comets will occur after three months; those of phenomena connected with the appearance of white comets will occur after seven days; effects of halos, rainbows during twilight hours and colour of the twilight sky and of clouds will be felt after seven days.
4. Effects indicated by abnormal changes of temperature, by the appearance of fruits and flowers out of season, by the flaming horizon and by portents relating to the motion of unmoving bodies and to the refusal to move of moving bodies and to abnormal births will be felt after 6 months.
5. Effects indicated by portents relating to the completion of an event without an agent, to earthquakes, to severe calamities, to malefic symptoms such as those connected with Homa fire and by portents relating to the drying of a wet substance and to the course of rivers will occur after 6 months.
6. Effects of portents connected with pillars and the like, with granaries, the temple-images, their speech, weeping, quaking and sweating, cattle-fight and fight between the people of a house during twilight hours and the appearance of the rainbow at night and lightning will be felt after three weeks.
7. Effects of portents connected with the increase of worms, rats, flies and snakes and of those connected with the sound of birds and animals and with the floating of a lump of earth on water will be felt after three months.
9. Effects indicated by dogs and the like, by the creatures of the village bearing their young in the woods, by the entry of wild animals into the village and the several abnormal phenomena connected with bee-hives, town gates and Indra-dhvaja will be felt after a year or a longer period.
9. Effects connected with swarms of the jackal and the vulture will be felt after 10 days. Those of phenomena connected with mysterious musical sound will be felt that same day. Those of phenomena connected with disagreeable sounds will be felt after a fortnight and also effects of phenomena connected with anthills and openings on the surface of the earth will also be felt after a fortnight.
10. Effects of portents relating to the appearance of fire where there is no fire and the shower of ghee. oils, serum of flesh and the like will be felt that same day; and the effects of casual words of women and children will be felt after a month and a half.
11. Effects of portents relating to umbrellas, piles of bricks, the sacrificial post, fire, and seeds wall be felt after three months. According to some, effects of portents relating to umbrellas, gates and towers will be felt after a month.
12. Effects of portents relating to the friendly union of creatures of deadly natural enmity, to sounds heard in the sky and to the union of the cat and the mongoose with the rat will be felt after a month.
13. Effects of the appearance of cloud-castles will be felt after a month and effects of portents relating to juice, gold, flag-staff, houses and to dust storms and smoke will also be felt after a month.
14. Effects of phenomena occurring in the eight constellations from Aśvinī will be felt after 9, 1, 8, 10, 1, 6, 3 and 3 months respectively and the effects of those occurring in the constellation of Āsleṣā will be felt that same day.
15. Effects of phenomena occurring in the ten constellations from Maghā will be felt after 1, 6, 6, 3, 1/2, 8, 3, 6, 1 and 1 months respectively. Effects of those occurring in the constellations of Pūrvāṣāḍha and Uttarāṣāḍha will be felt after four months and the effects of those occurring in the constellation of Abhijit will be felt that same day.
16. Effects of phenomena occurring in the remaining 6 constellations from Śravaṇa will be felt after 7, 8, 1½, 3, 3 and 5 months respectively.
17. If the effects be not felt soon after the periods mentioned, they will be felt with greater severity after double the period, if no steps be adopted for their expiation by the gift of gold, gems and cows and by the performance of expiatory ceremonies with the help of Brāhmaṇas.