by N. Chidambaram Iyer | 1884 | 135,584 words | ISBN-13: 9788171104215
This page describes erotic remedies, spermatic drugs and medicines (kandarpika) which is the seventy-sixth Chapter of the English translation of the Brihat-samhita. This work, written by Varahamihira in the 6th century, is classified as jyotisha literature, also known as Indian astronomy. It contains however, also content regarding astrology, palmistry, agriculture, gardening, perfumes, medicines and various other encyclopedic topics.
1. If the blood should exceed, the issue will be a female child; if the semen virile should exceed, the issue will be a male child; if both be equal, the issue will be a hermaphrodite. It is therefore necessary to take medicines for the increase of the semen virile.
2. The tops of storyed houses, moon-light, sweet liquor, beautiful women with the passion of love, the music of the lute, love speech, solitude, and flower wreaths, are things whose union provokes sexual passion.
3. Prepare a mixture of Mākṣīka Dhātu honey, Pārada, (quick-silver), iron-dust, Pathya, Śilājit and ghee. Take this for 21 days. Though 80 years old and weak with age, you will indulge in sexual union with the energy of a young man.
[Note—With the exception of honey and ghee, the other drugs shall be powdered and mixed in equal parts and formed into a paste with honey and milk.]
4. Put into the milk of the cow, the root of the kapikacchu and heat the milk and then drink it; or roast a quantity of broken black-gram in the ghee obtained by churning pure uncurdled milk. Eat 6 handfuls of the seed and then drink milk. You will engage in sexual union with great energy.
5. Soak in the juice of the pumpkin its powdered root and dry it: repeat the operation seven times. Put the powder into milk heated with sugar, and drink it. You will require many women.
6. Soak in the juice of the fruit of the Emblic myrobolam its dried fruit powdered and dry it. Repeat the operation seven times; mix it with honey, sugar and ghee, and lick it and drink milk. You will require many women.
7. Put into the milk of the cow the testicle of the goat, heat the milk, soak in it a considerable quantity of sesamum seeds and dry it; repeat the operation seven times; eat the seeds. You will outbeat the sparrow in sexual union.
8. Mix with the cooked Ṣaṣṭika rice the cooked broken seeds of black gram; eat the nce and then drink milk; you will go to bed with much sexual passion.
9. Mix together equal quantities of the powder or the flour of sesamum seeds, of the root of the Aśvagandhā, of Kapikacchu, the pumpkin and of the Ṣaṣṭika rice. Form the mixture into a paste by adding the milk of the goat and make cakes of it, roast them in heated ghee and eat the cakes.
10. Or, put into the milk of the cow the root of either of Gokṣura or the pumpkin; heat the milk, and drink it; though old you will indulge in sexual union with the energy of a young man. We will now prescribe remedies for weak digestion.
11. Mix together equal quantities of the powder of Ajamoda (sison), rock-salt, Harītakī, ginger and long pepper, and put the mixture either in liquor or in butter-milk or water, slightly heated and drink it. You will begin to have a keen appetite for food.
12. If while taking the cordials described above, you eat with your rice much of vegetable preparations which are exceedingly sour, bitter, saltish or pungent you will, though young, lose your sexual energy and like an old person state false excuses before women.
The following is extracted from a medical work named Ratnakośa:—
1. Soak in the water of the coconut the broken seeds of black-gram and dry the seeds, repeat the operation 7 times; make the seeds into a paste by grinding, make cakes of it and roast them in heated ghee and eat the cakes and then drink milk: you will require a hundred women.
The following are taken from a work named Prayoga Sāra:—
2 Mix together in an iron vessel tilled with ghee equal quantities of grapes. Mākṣīkadhātu, Śilājit, quick-silver, the excrement of the turtle dove. Viḍaṅga and Harītakī powdered; take a dose of the mixture every morning; you will become strong and healthy and will be freed from poison and from jaundice, and will have an increase of semen virile,
3. Mix together the powder of Triphalā with either jaggery or sugar, eat the mixture and drink milk heated with the root of Kapikacchu mixed with it; you will have an increase of semen virile.
4. Mix together the milk of the cow with the juice of the bark of the silk-cotton tree; neat the mixture till it is reduced to one-half of its bulk. Mix with it one-third part of honey. A woman who takes a karṣa (one-fourth pala) of this milk will have an increase of blood.
5. There will also be an increase of blood if a woman will take dried grapes ground with honey on a stone and then mixed with either milk or gruel.
6. There will also be an increase of blood if the juice of the bark of the mango be drawn into the nose.
The following are from Suśruta:—
7. Form into a paste either a mixture of the powder of sesamum seeds, black-gram, and the root of the pumpkin, or the flour of the Śāli rice, by grinding it on a stone with the juice of the sugarcane and mix with it rock salt and the serum of flesh of the hog; form cakes of it; roast them in heated ghee and eat the cakes; you will require a hundred women.
8. Put into milk the testicle of the goat; heat the milk; drench in it sesamum seeds seven times, drying them each time; mix with them the serum of flesh of the gangetic porpoise; make cakes of the mixture and roast them in ghee and eat the cakes; you will require a hundred women.
9. Mix together long pepper, rock salt and the testicle of the goat; form the mixture into cakes and roast them in ghee obtained from uncurdled milk; eat the cakes. You will require a hundred women.
10. Form a mixture of the powder of equal quantities of either long pepper, black-gram and Śāli rice, or of barley and wheat; form the mixture into cakes, roast them in ghee; eat the cakes and then drink milk mixed with sugar and heated. You will require ten women.
11. Drench in the juice of the pumpkin its powdered root seven times, drying the powder each time: add to it ghee, and honey and eat it; you will require 10 women.
12. Drench seven times in the juice of the fruit of Emblic myrobolan the powder of its dried fruit, drying the powder each time; mix with it ghee, honey, and sugar and eat it and then drink milk. Though you may be 80 years old, you will begin to possess the energy of a young man.
13. Mix together long pepper, rock salt and the testicle of the goat; put the mixture in ghee, heat it and eat it. You will have an increase of semen virile. The testicles of the Gangetic porpoise, the crab, the turtle, or the crocodile may be similarly mixed with the other ingredients. The effect will be the same.
14. Drink the semen virile of the buffalo, the ox, or the sheep.
15. Or put into milk the fruit, root, bark and the calyx of the young buds of Aśvattha (the holy fig tree); heat the milk, add to it honey and sugar; drink the milk. You will outbeat the sparrow.
16. Mix well with honey and ghee a pala of the flour of black-gram and eat the mixture.
17. Put into milk the root of the Kapikacchu and the flour of wheat; heat the milk; as soon as it cools add to it ghee and drink it, and then drink ordinary milk.
18. Put into ghee the testicle of the crocodile or the rat or the frog or the sparrow; heat the ghee and rub it on the soles of the feet. You will enjoy as many women as you please as long as you do not set your foot on the ground.
19. Mix with sugar the powder of the seeds of the Kapikacchu and Ikṣuraka. Put the mixture into milk; heat it and drink it while it is hot.
20. Put into milk the powder of Ucchaṭa, heat the milk and drink it.
21. Put into milk the roots of Ucchaṭa and Śatāvarī; heat the milk and drink it.
22. Put into milk the seeds of Kapikacchu and the broken seeds of black-gram; heat the milk and drink it.
23. Put into milk the seeds of Kapikacchu, Gokṣuraka and Ucchaṭa; heat the milk; add to it sugar and drink it.
24. Put into milk black gram, the root of the pumpkin and of Ucchaṭa; heat the milk, add to it ghee and honey and put sugar in it and drink it.
25. Drink the milk of a sow having a grown up pig or the milk of a cow subsisting on the leaves of the black-gram plant. In all these cases, there will be an increase of semen virile.
Footnotes and references:
Vide glossary at the end of chapter 77 for an explanation of the various medical and botanical terms occurring in this and in the next chapter.