by N. Chidambaram Iyer | 1884 | 135,584 words | ISBN-13: 9788171104215
This page describes pimples (pitaka-lakshana) which is the fifty-second Chapter of the English translation of the Brihat-samhita. This work, written by Varahamihira in the 6th century, is classified as jyotisha literature, also known as Indian astronomy. It contains however, also content regarding astrology, palmistry, agriculture, gardening, perfumes, medicines and various other encyclopedic topics.
1. Pimples (piṭaka) breaking out in the Brāhmaṇas, the Kṣatriyas, the Vaiśyas and the Śūdras should respectively be white, red, yellow and black, in order that they may produce the effects described below;
2. If glossy and clear pimples break out in the head, there will be acquisition of wealth; if in the crown of the head, there will be good fortune; if in the two eye-brows, there will be bad luck and the meeting of friends; if between the eye-brows, there will be loss of character; if on the eye-lids, there will be sorrow and the gaining of the desired object; if in the temples, the person will turn out a hermit; and if on both sides of the nose where the tears fall, there will be great anxiety.
3. If the pimple breaks out in the nose, the person will get new cloth; if in the cheek, he will get a son; if in the lips or just below them, he will get good food; if in the forehead or in the comers of the mouth, there will be acquisition of wealth; if in the throat, the person will acquire ornaments, food and drink; if in the ears, he will acquire a collection of ornament and a knowledge of Ātmā.
4. If the pimpie breaks out in the joint of the head, the neck, the heart, the two nippies, the two sides, or in the breast, the person wall get respectively a blow with an iron rod, a blow, a son, a son again, any gain, grief, and any object of desire; if it breaks out in the two shoulders, there will be much wandering for alms and destruction; and if in the two arm-pits, the person will acquire wealth and comfort.
5. If the pimple breaks out in the back there will be grief and ruin; if in the two upper arms, the enemy will perish; if in the two wrists, there will be imprisonment; if in the two lower arms, there will be an acquisition of ornaments.
6. If the pimple breaks out in the hands, fingers or belly, there will respectively be an acquisition of wealth, good luck or grief; if it breaks out in the navel, the person will get good food and drink; if just under the navel, there will be theft of property by robbers; if in a man’s genital organs, he will get a young woman and good sons; if in the anus; he will acquire wealth, and if in the testicles, there will be good fortune.
7. If the pimple breaks out in the thighs, the person will get a carriage and a woman; if in the knees, there will be injury from enemies; if in the shanks, there will be wound from weapons; and if in the ankles, there will be trouble from a journey on foot and from imprisonment.
8. If the pimple (piṭaka) breaks out in the buttocks, heels or soles of the feet, there will respectively be loss of wealth, adultery or the troubles of a journey on foot; if in the toes, there will be imprisonment; and if in the big toe there will be presents from kinsmen.
9. Any extraordinary eruptions, boils and pimples breaking out on the right side, and hurts, occurring on the left side of males, indicate the acquisition of wealth; the reverse is the case with females.
10. Thus have I stated the effects of pimples breaking out in the several parts of the body from head to foot, the same effects apply to wounds, dark spots, pustules, small bunches of hair of crowded growth and to a whirling growth of hair.