by N. Chidambaram Iyer | 1884 | 135,584 words | ISBN-13: 9788171104215
This page describes classification of substances (dravya-nishcaya) which is the forty-first Chapter of the English translation of the Brihat-samhita. This work, written by Varahamihira in the 6th century, is classified as jyotisha literature, also known as Indian astronomy. It contains however, also content regarding astrology, palmistry, agriculture, gardening, perfumes, medicines and various other encyclopedic topics.
1. I shall now proceed to state the Zodiacal division of commodities (dravya) adopting the views of the sages of the past with a view to enable men to know before-hand what articles can be had in abundace and what will become rare.
2. Sign Meṣa (Aries) represents cotton and woollen fabric, clothes made of goat’s hair, beans, wheat, resin, barley, dry crops in general and gold.
3. Sign Vṛṣabha (Taurus) represents clothes in general, flowers, wheat, rice, barley, buffalo and cows; and sign Mithuna (Gemini) represents the autumnal crops, creepers, the root of the lily and cotton.
4. Sign Karka (Cancer) represents Kodrava, plantains, bent grass, fruits, roots, leaves and bark; and sign Siṃha (Leo) represents food grains, juice, the skin of the lion and the like animals and jaggery.
5. Sign Kanyā (Virgo) represents common flax, barley, horse gram, wheat, kidney-beans and Niṣpāva (a kind of leguminous plant); and sign Tulā (Libra) represents black gram, barlay, wheat and mustard seed.
7. Sign Makara (Capricornus) represents trees, bushes, wet grains, sugar-canes, gold and black-lead; and sign Kuṃbha (Aquarius) represents water-fruits and flowers, gems and articles of various shapes.
8. Sign Mīna (Pisces) represents pearls and other shell-gems, water products, diamonds, various oils and fishes.
9. If Jupiter should occupy the 4th, 10th, 2nd, 11th, 7th, 9th or 5th house from any particular sign of the Zodiac; or if Mercury should occupy the 2nd, 11th, 10th, 5th or 8th house from any particular sign; or if Venus should occupy the 6th or 7th house from a particular sign, the articles represented by that sign will perish; and if he occupies any of the other houses, the articles will flourish; if malefic planets should occupy the 3rd, 6th, 10th, or 1lth house from a particular sign, the articles represented by that sign will flourish and the reverse will be the case if the planets occupy any of the other houses,
11. If powerful malefic planets should occupy any of the houses other than the 3rd, 6th, 10th and 11th houses from a particular sign, the articles assigned for that sign will sell dear and become scarce.
12. Generally, if benefíc planets should be powerful in their several signs as stated above, articles will flourish and the prices will be moderate and the articles themselves can be had easily.
13. If at any time a particular sign should be within sight of benefic planets occupying malefic houses, the articles assigned for that sign will not be much injured, but if the planets should be within sight of powerful malefic planets, the articles will perish.