Yanna Sutta, aka: Yañña sutta; 2 Definition(s)
Preached in reference to an animal sacrifice which Pasenadi proposed to hold on the advice of the brahmins in order to avert the effects of his evil dreams.
The Buddha, hearing of it, declares that such sacrifices never produce good results. There are other sacrifices which harm no one and by which the celebrants are blessed and the gods pleased. S.i.75.
1) Sutta, 2 (nt.) (Vedic sūtra, fr. sīv to sew) 1. a thread, string D. I, 76; II, 13; Vin. II...
Yañña, (Vedic yajña, fr. yaj: see yajati. The metric reading in the Veda is sometimes yajana, ...
Kāḷa-sutta a black thread or wire, a carpenter’s measuring line J. II, 405; Miln. 413...
The Maṅgala Sutta is found in the Suttanipāta. An excellent translation by Venerable Dr ­...
Metta, (adj. nt.) (cp. Vedic maitra “belonging to Mitra”; Epic Sk. maitra “friendly, ” fr. mit...
yuganaddha : (adj.) congruous; harmonious; connected to a yoke.
Deva, (Ved. deva, Idg. *deịā to shine (see dibba & diva), orig. adj. *deiǔos belonging to the s...
1) Ratana, 2 (most likely=Sk. aratni: see ratani) a linear measure (which Abhp p. 23 gives as e...
Bhikkhu, (cp. later Sk. bhikṣu, fr. bhikṣ) an almsman, a mendicant, a Buddhist monk or priest, ...
Saññā, (f.) (fr. saṃ+jñā) (pl. saññāyo and saññā — e.g. M. I, 108) 1. sense, consciousness, per...
Samādhi, (fr. saṃ+ā+dhā) 1. concentration; a concentrated, self-collected, intent state of min...
Appamāda, (a + pamāda) thoughtfulness, carefulness, conscientiousness, watchfulness, vigilance,...
Ānanda, (Vedic ānanda, fr. ā + nand, cp. BSk. ānandī joy Divy 37) joy, pleasure, bliss, delight...
Sīla, (nt.) (cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in mean...
Suddhika, (adj.) (suddhi+ka) 1. connected with purification Dhs. 519—522; udaka-s. pure by use...
- · Advice To Rāhula > Rāhula Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Nakhasikha Sutta
- · Metta > The Background To The Metta Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Cunda Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Kanakacchapa-sutta
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
- · The Samaññaphala Sutta > Samaññaphala Sutta
- · The Dawn of the Dhamma > The Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > Upanisa Sutta
- · The Madhura Sutta > The Madhura Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Ukkacela Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > An Exposition Of The Upanisa Sutta
- · Metta > The Karaniya Metta Sutta
- · The Brahmajāla Sutta > Introduction to the Brahma-Jāla Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Majjhima Nikaya
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Loving-kindness
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Downfall
- · The Book of Protection > ... > The Jewel Discourse
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > Sakkayaditthi & How It Arises
- · The Book of Protection > ... > The Discourse At Isigili
» Click here to see all 472 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.