White, 1 Definition(s)
White means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
General definition (in Buddhism)
The color white is used by Buddhist devotees to show their commitment to keeping the Precepts — usually the Eight Precepts — on Observance Days. (White robes are also worn by the anagarika, or postulant before he becomes a monk.)Source: Access to Insight: The Bhikkhus Rules
Search found 510 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Śaṅkha (शङ्ख) is the shorter name of Śaṅkhadvīpa, one of the continents (dvīpa) of the mi...
Sitā (सिता) is the name of a river mentioned as flowing through Videha together with the Sitodā...
Rudra (रुद्र).— The rudras are a group of celestial beings living in the lower regions of adhol...
Viśuddhā (विशुद्धा).—A group of gods of the X epoch of Manu.** Viṣṇu-purāṇa III. 2. 25.
Sarasvatī (सरस्वती) or Bhāratī is born from the mouth of Brahmā and is the goddess of speech an...
Bhīma (भीम) is the name of class of rākṣasas according to both the Digambara and the Śvetāmbara...
1) Kumuda (कुमुद) is another name of Mahāvīti, one of the two sons of Savana, who was the gr...
Rasa (रस, “taste”) is one of the seventeen guṇas (‘qualities’), acco...
Seta, (adj.) (Vedic śveta & śvitra; cp. Av. spaēta white; Lith. szaitýti to make light; Ohg....
Īśana (ईशन) is the Sanskrit name of a deity presiding over Kedāra, one of the sixty-eight pl...
1a) Vijayā (विजया) is the mother of Ajita, the second of twenty-four Tīrthaṅkaras in Jani...
Kalki (कल्कि) is a Sanskrit word referring to one of the ten incarnations of Viṣṇu. This inc...
Śiva (शिव).—Śiva along with Brahmā and Viṣṇu make up the Hindu Triad. He is the most favourite ...
Śaṅkara (शङ्कर) is the Sanskrit name of a deity presiding over Kurucandra, one of the sixty-...
1a) Kuṇḍa (कुण्ड).—A chief Vānara.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 7. 241.1b) Five in Prayāga, in...
Search found 1700 books containing White. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Heimskringla > ... > Death Of Guthorm And Halfdan The White
- · Heimskringla > ... > Thrand White's Murder
- · A Collection of Popular Tales from the Norse and North German > The Twelve White Peacocks
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 1 > ... > The White Turtle
- · The Way of the White Clouds > ... > On the Way of the White Clouds
- · Patipada > The Story Of The White-robed Upasaka
- · Sushruta Samhita, Volume 6: Uttara-tantra > ... > Pathology of the diseases of the sclerotic coat
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.5.8
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > Preliminary Services
- · The Bundahishn > The Chieftainship Of People And Animals
- · Āśvalāyana-gṛhya-sūtra > Adhyāya II, Kaṇḍikā 3
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 2 > ... > The Magic Lute Player
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.4.45
- · The Way of the White Clouds > Document License Information
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 4.65
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 11.130
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.72
- · Trishashti Shalaka Purusha Caritra > ... > Part 7: Suvidhi’s omniscience
- · The Great Chariot > ... > D. The dedication of merit
- · Satapatha Brahmana > ... > Kāṇḍa V, adhyāya 3, brāhmaṇa 2
» Click here to see all 1700 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.