Ten Great Disciples; 1 Definition(s)
Ten Great Disciples means something in Buddhism, Pali. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
General definition (in Buddhism)
Ten Great Disciples of Skakyamuni Buddha. They are:
- Mahakasyapa in Sanskrit, Mahakassapa in Pali. - first in ascetism.
- Ananda - first in having heard the words of Buddha.
- Sariputra in Sanskrit, Sariputta in Pali. - first in wisdom.
- Subhuti - first in expressing emptiness.
- Purna - first in explaining good law.
- Maudgalyayana in Sanskrit, Moggallana in Pali. - first in supernatural power.
- Katyayana - first in preaching.
- Aniruddha in Sanskrit, Anuruddha in Pali. - first in the sharpness of his divine eyes.
- Upali - first in taking precepts.
- Rahula - first in esoteric practices and in desire for instruction in the law.
Search found 8502 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Ten Perfections:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the Sanskrit daśapāram...
|Ten Great King Vows|
The vows of Visvabhadra Bodhisattva: 1. To worship and respect all Buddhas. 2. To praise th...
Ten Masteries of the Bodhisattvas:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the ...
Ten Knowledges:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the Sanskrit jñāna ...
Great Vehicle:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the Sanskrit mahāyāna. I...
Ten Stages:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the Sanskrit bhūmi defined ...
Ten Strengths of the Bodhisattvas:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the ...
For the material there are ten kinds of offerings in Buddhism: 1. incense 2. flower 3. lam...
see Ten Good Deeds.
The Ten Powers of Buddha or Bodhisattva are the complete knowledge of 1. what is right or wr...
Śiva (शिव) refers to one of the eight names of Śiva (śivanāma) and is mentioned in the Śivapurā...
Ānanda (आनन्द) is the name of a physician that was ordered by queen Tārādattā to examine her da...
|Four Great Bodhisattvas|
They represent the four major characters of Bodhisattva: Manjusri - Universal Great...
|Ten Bodhisattva Stages|
Ten Bodhisattva Stages:—A technical term in Buddhism corresponding to the Sanskrit bh...
No search results for Ten Great Disciples in any book or story.