Suratha, aka: Surathā; 2 Definition(s)
Suratha means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Purana and Itihasa (epic history)
1) Suratha (सुरथ):—Son of Raṇaka (son of Kṣudraka). He will be born in the future and become a king. He will have a son called Sumitra (who ends the Bṛhadbala dynasty). (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.12.15)
2) Suratha (सुरथ):—Son of Jahnu (one of the four sons of Kuru). He had a son named Vidūratha. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.22.9-10)Source: Wisdom Library: Bhagavata Purana
1a) Suratha (सुरथ).—The son of Raṇaka and father of Sumitra.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 12. 15.
1b) A son of Janhu and father of Vidūratha.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 9-10; Matsya-purāṇa 50. 34; Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 230; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 20. 2-3.
1c) A son of Kulaka.*
- * Matsya-purāṇa 271. 13; Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 230.
1d) A son of Janamejaya.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 229.
1e) A son of Kuṇḍaka and father of Sumitra.*
- * Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 22. 9-10.
2) Surathā (सुरथा).—A daughter of Dakṣa.*
- * Matsya-purāṇa 171. 29.
The Purana (पुराण, purāṇas) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahapuranas total over 400,000 shlokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 34 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Sumitra (सुमित्र).—m. (-traḥ) The father of the twentieth Jina of the present era. f. (-trā) On...
Aṅgada (अङ्गद).—m. (-daḥ) 1. The name of a celebrated monkey, one of the heroes of the Ramayana...
1) Śvetā (श्वेता) is another name for Aśvakṣurā, a medicinal plant identified with Clitoria ter...
Arjuna (अर्जुन) is the name of a tree (Arjuna vṛkṣa) that is associated with the Nakṣatra (cele...
1) Citrāṅgada (चित्राङ्गद).—(CITRĀṄGA). See under Citrāṅga I.2) Citrāṅgada (चित्राङ्गद).—A son ...
1) Vidūratha (विदूरथ).—A king of the Vṛṣṇi dynasty. Information got from Mahābhārata about this...
Kuru (कुरु) refers to one of the sixteen Mahājanapadas of the Majjhimadesa (Middle Country) of ...
Bhīṣma (भीष्म).—(1) nt., n. of some (heavenly) flower (compare mahābhīṣma, which regularly fol...
Apsaras (अप्सरस्).—f. plur. always (-rāḥ) The nymphs of Swerga, attendants on Indra. E. ap wate...
1) Janamejaya (जनमेजय).—A famous King of the Solar dynasty Genealogy. Descended from Viṣṇu thus...
Udayana (उदयन) is the author of the Kiraṇāvalī: another important work on Praśastapāda-bhāṣya. ...
Durvāra (दुर्वार).—Son of King Suratha of Kuṇḍalanagara. When Suratha captured the yajñāśva (sa...
Āṣāḍha (आषाढ) is the second month of the “summer season” (nidagha) in the traditional Indian ca...
1) Abhimanyu (अभिमन्यु).—He was the heroic son of Arjuna the central figure of the Mahābhārata,...
Kaurava (कौरव).—General Information. Those who were born in the family of the famous King Kuru....
Search found 13 books and stories containing Suratha or Surathā. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles:
The Padma Purana (by N.A. Deshpande)
Chapter 52 - King Suratha Wins the Battle < [Section 5 - Pātāla-Khaṇḍa (Section On The Nether World)]
Chapter 53 - Rāma Frees the Bound Heroes < [Section 5 - Pātāla-Khaṇḍa (Section On The Nether World)]
Chapter 50 - Aṅgada Delivers Śatrughna’s Message to Suratha < [Section 5 - Pātāla-Khaṇḍa (Section On The Nether World)]
The Devi Bhagavata Purana (by Swami Vijñanananda)
Chapter 10 - On the anecdote of the King Suratha < [Book 10]
The Markandeya Purana (by Frederick Eden Pargiter)
The Vishnu Purana (by Horace Hayman Wilson)
Chapter XX - Dynasty of Kuru < [Book IV]
The Bhagavata Purana (by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)
Chapter 12 - The Dynasty of Kusa, the Son of Lord Ramacandra < [Canto IX - Liberation]
Chapter 22 - The Descendants of Ajamidha < [Canto IX - Liberation]
Chapter 30 - The Disappearance of the Yadu Dynasty < [Canto XI - General History]
The Garuda Purana (by Manmatha Nath Dutt)