Suhotra, 2 Definition(s)
Suhotra means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
1a) Suhotra (सुहोत्र).—A son of Kṣatravṛddha, and father of Kāśya and two other sons—(Kāśyapa, Kāśa and Gṛtsamada, vāyu-purāṇa.).*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 17. 2-3; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 8. 4-5.
1b) A son of Sudhanus and father of Cyavana.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 5; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 79.
1c) A son of Sahadeva by Vijayā (Mādrī, Matsya-purāṇa), Vijayī, Viṣṇu-purāṇa).*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 31; Matsya-purāṇa 50. 55; Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 248. Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 20. 47.
1d) A Vānara chief.*
- * Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 7. 237.
1e) A son of Kāñcanaprabha (or Kāñcana) a brave king, married Keśinī and father of Janhu.*
- * Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 66. 24; Vāyu-purāṇa 91. 53; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 7. 3.
1f) A son of Janhu and Kāverī.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 91. 60.
1g) A son of Bṛhadkṣatra, and father of Hastin.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 165; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 27-8.
1h) The wise, the son of Sudhanva.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 218.
1i) A ṛtvik at Brahmā's yajña.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 106. 36.
1j) A son of Bhagīratha.*
- * Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 4. 36.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
General definition (in Hinduism)
1) Suhotra (सुहोत्र):—Son of Kṣatravṛddha (son of Āyu). He had three sons named Kāśya, Kuśa and Gṛtsamada (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.17.1-3)
2) Suhotra (सुहोत्र):—Son of Sudhanu (one of the four sons of Kuru, king of Kurukṣetra). He had a son named Cyavana. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.22.4-5)
3) Suhotra (सुहोत्र):—Son of Sahadeva (one of the sons of Pāṇḍu) and his wife Vijayā. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.22.30-31)Source: Wisdom Library: Hinduism
Search found 30 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1a) Vijayā (विजया) is the mother of Ajita, the second of twenty-four Tīrthaṅkaras in Jani...
Kuśa (कुश).—One of the three sons of Jyotiṣmān, who was a son of Priyavrata, according...
1) Sahadeva (सहदेव).—Nakula’s twin, and the fifth of the sons of Pāṇḍu, and youn...
Pārvatī (पार्वती).—Sculptures of Pārvatī, called by different names locally, are available in g...
Hastināpura (हस्तिनापुर) is the name of a country pertaining to the Pāñcālī (Pāñcālamadhyamā...
Saṃjaya (संजय).—Son of Pratikṣatra.** Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 9. 26.
1) Kāśi (काशि).—Son of Kāśya and father of Rāṣṭra.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 17. 4.2a) Kāśī ...
1a) Kaśyapa (कश्यप).—(savituḥ vidvān, Mārīci) son of Marīci and Kalā, and husband of Diti...
1a) Kāñcana (काञ्चन).—The son of Bhīma, and father of Hotraka (Suhotra, Viṣṇu-purāṇa).** ...
Kāverī (कावेरी) is the name of a river mentioned in a list of rivers, flowing from the five ...
Keśinī (केशिनी) is the name of a mind-born ‘divine mother’ (mātṛ), created for t...
1) Vasu (वसु):—Son of Bhūtajyoti (son of Sumati). He had a son named Pratīka. (see Bhā...
Kṛti (कृति).—One of the fourteen elements of the ‘concluding segment’ (nirvahaṇasandhi);—(Descr...
1a) Sudhanu (सुधनु).—A son of Kuru, and father of Suhotra.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 4 &...
Rāṣṭra (राष्ट्र).—Son of Kāśi (Kāśeya Viṣṇu-purāṇa) and father of Dīrghatamas (tapas Viṣṇ...
Search found 17 books containing Suhotra. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Corrections
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Shantanu And Devapi
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XCIV
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CLXLIII
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Lineage of Ayu and origin of Dhanvantari
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Puru
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XXVI
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Lineage of Puruvasas and Jahnu
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Genealogy of the princes of the lunar race
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Kuru
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XCV
- · The Markandeya Purana > Khanitra’s exploits
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the story of Satyavrata
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with S
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section I
- · Śrī Gauḍīya Kaṇṭhahāra > Varṇadharma-tattva
» Click here to see all 17 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.