Suhotra, 2 Definition(s)
Suhotra means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
1a) Suhotra (सुहोत्र).—A son of Kṣatravṛddha, and father of Kāśya and two other sons—(Kāśyapa, Kāśa and Gṛtsamada, vāyu-purāṇa.).*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 17. 2-3; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 8. 4-5.
1b) A son of Sudhanus and father of Cyavana.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 5; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 79.
1c) A son of Sahadeva by Vijayā (Mādrī, Matsya-purāṇa), Vijayī, Viṣṇu-purāṇa).*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 31; Matsya-purāṇa 50. 55; Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 248. Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 20. 47.
1d) A Vānara chief.*
- * Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 7. 237.
1e) A son of Kāñcanaprabha (or Kāñcana) a brave king, married Keśinī and father of Janhu.*
- * Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 66. 24; Vāyu-purāṇa 91. 53; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 7. 3.
1f) A son of Janhu and Kāverī.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 91. 60.
1g) A son of Bṛhadkṣatra, and father of Hastin.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 165; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 27-8.
1h) The wise, the son of Sudhanva.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 218.
1i) A ṛtvik at Brahmā's yajña.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 106. 36.
1j) A son of Bhagīratha.*
- * Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 4. 36.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including religious ceremonies, various arts, sciences and historical legends. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
General definition (in Hinduism)
1) Suhotra (सुहोत्र):—Son of Kṣatravṛddha (son of Āyu). He had three sons named Kāśya, Kuśa and Gṛtsamada (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.17.1-3)
2) Suhotra (सुहोत्र):—Son of Sudhanu (one of the four sons of Kuru, king of Kurukṣetra). He had a son named Cyavana. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.22.4-5)
3) Suhotra (सुहोत्र):—Son of Sahadeva (one of the sons of Pāṇḍu) and his wife Vijayā. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.22.30-31)Source: Wisdom Library: Hinduism
Search found 29 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Vijayā (विजया) is the name of a beautiful damsel (kanyā), with black curly hair and red lips...
Kuśa (कुश).—One of the three sons of Jyotiṣmān, who was a son of Priyavrata, according...
1) Sahadeva (सहदेव).—Nakula’s twin, and the fifth of the sons of Pāṇḍu, and youn...
Pārvatī (पार्वती) is the beloved of Maheśvara, who is mentioned as the “chief of thing...
1a) Kaśyapa (कश्यप).—(savituḥ vidvān, Mārīci) son of Marīci and Kalā, and husband of Diti...
Sañjaya (सञ्जय).—Charioteer and minister to King Dhṛtarāṣṭra. Sañjaya narrated the eve...
Hastināpura (हस्तिनापुर) is the name of a country pertaining to the Pāñcālī (Pāñcālamadhyamā...
Kāśī (काशी).—One of the oldest sacred places of learning in India. The Purāṇic name of...
1) Vasu (वसु):—Son of Bhūtajyoti (son of Sumati). He had a son named Pratīka. (see Bhā...
Keśinī (केशिनी) is the name of a mind-born ‘divine mother’ (mātṛ), created for t...
Kāverī (कावेरी) is the name of a river mentioned in a list of rivers, flowing from the five ...
1) Kāñcana (काञ्चन) is another name (synonym) for Kampillaka, which is the Sanskrit word for...
1a) Gṛtsamada (गृत्समद).—A sage who called on the dying Bhiṣma. Ārṣeya pravara of Bhārgav...
1a) Cyavana (च्यवन).—A sage1 who was invited for Yudhiṣṭhira's Rājasūya.2 Came to see K...
1a) Sudhanu (सुधनु).—A son of Kuru, and father of Suhotra.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 22. 4 &...
Search found 17 books containing Suhotra. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Corrections
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Shantanu And Devapi
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XCIV
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CLXLIII
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Lineage of Ayu and origin of Dhanvantari
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Puru
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XXVI
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Lineage of Puruvasas and Jahnu
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Genealogy of the princes of the lunar race
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Kuru
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XCV
- · The Markandeya Purana > Khanitra’s exploits
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the story of Satyavrata
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with S
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section I
- · Śrī Gauḍīya Kaṇṭhahāra > Varṇadharma-tattva
» Click here to see all 17 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.