Spardhin: 7 definitions
Spardhin means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Languages of India and abroad
Spardhin (स्पर्धिन्).—a. (-nī f.)
1) Rivalling, emulating, competing, vying with; तवाधरस्पर्धिषु विद्रुमेषु (tavādharaspardhiṣu vidrumeṣu) R.13.13;16.62.
2) Emulous, envious.
3) Proud. -m. A competitor, an equal.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Shabda-Sagara Sanskrit-English Dictionary
Spardhin (स्पर्धिन्) or Sparddhin.—mfn. (-rddhī-rddhinī-rddhi) 1. Emulous, envious. 2. Superb, gorgeous. 3. Proud. E. sparddhā, and ini aff.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Benfey Sanskrit-English Dictionary
Spardhin (स्पर्धिन्).—i. e. spardhā + in, adj. 1. Rivalling, [Pañcatantra] ed. orn. 3, 5. 2. Emulating, [Raghuvaṃśa, (ed. Stenzler.)] 13, 13. 3. Envious. 4. Proud.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Cappeller Sanskrit-English Dictionary
Spardhin (स्पर्धिन्).—[adjective] rivalling, emulous.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
1) Spardhin (स्पर्धिन्):—[from spṛdh] mfn. emulating, rivalling, vying with ([compound]), [Mahābhārata; Kāvya literature] etc.
2) [v.s. ...] proud, [Horace H. Wilson]
3) [v.s. ...] superb, gorgeous, [Horace H. Wilson]Source: DDSA: Paia-sadda-mahannavo; a comprehensive Prakrit Hindi dictionary (S)
Spardhin (स्पर्धिन्) in the Sanskrit language is related to the Prakrit word: Phaddhi.
[Sanskrit to German]
Sanskrit, also spelled संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam), is an ancient language of India commonly seen as the grandmother of the Indo-European language family (even English!). Closely allied with Prakrit and Pali, Sanskrit is more exhaustive in both grammar and terms and has the most extensive collection of literature in the world, greatly surpassing its sister-languages Greek and Latin.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Ends with: Aspardhin, Parispardhin, Praspardhin, Pratispardhin, Samspardhin, Sudhaspardhin, Vispardhin.
Full-text: Praspardhin, Phaddhi, Sparddhin, Parispridh, Parispardhin, Samspardhin, Sudhaspardhin, Pratispardhin.
No search results for Spardhin; (plurals include: Spardhins) in any book or story.