Sotthija, aka: Sotthiya; 2 Definition(s)
Sotthija means something in Buddhism, Pali. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Theravada (major branch of Buddhism)
1. Sotthiya. A grass cutter (unchanaka) who gave grass for his seat to the Buddha. J.i.70; BuA.238; SNA.ii.391, etc.
2. Sotthiya. See also Sotthika and Sotthija.
3. Sotthiya. A brahmin of Savatthi who entered the Order and became an arahant after a conversation he had with Anathapindikas slave girl, Punnika (Punna). Ap.ii.611 (vss. 6-11).
4. The constant attendant of Konagamana Buddha. Bu.xxiv.22; J.i.43; D.ii.6.
(Source): Pali Kanon: Pali Proper Names
Theravāda is a major branch of Buddhism having the the Pali canon (tipitaka) as their canonical literature, which includes the vinaya-pitaka (monastic rules), the sutta-pitaka (Buddhist sermons) and the abhidhamma-pitaka (philosophy and psychology).
Languages of India and abroad
1) Sotthiya, 2 (nt.) (der. ?) a childbirth rag Vism. 63. (Page 725)
2) Sotthiya, 1=sottiya a learned man, a brahmin Dh. 295; ThA. 200 (Ap. V, 6); J. IV, 301, 303; V, 466. (Page 725)(Source): Sutta: The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary
Pali is the language of the Tipiṭaka, which is the sacred canon of Theravāda Buddhism and contains much of the Buddha’s speech. Closeley related to Sanskrit, both languages are used interchangeably between religions.
Search found 7 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Puñña, (nt.) (cp. (late) Vedic puṇya favourable, good; etym. not clear, it may be dialectical....
Dīgha, (adj.-n.) (Ved. dīrgha, cp. Caus. drāghayati to lengthen, *dlāgh as in Gr. dolixόs (shaf...
Ujjaya (उज्जय).—One of the sons of Viśvāmitra. They were Brahmavādins. (Mahābhārata Anuśāsana P...
Sotthika, (& °iya) (adj.) (fr. sotthi) happy, auspicious, blessed, safe VvA. 95; DhA. II, 227 ...
The twenty third in the list of the twenty four Buddhas and the second Buddha to be born in t...
|Maha Assapura Sutta|
Preached at Assapura, in the Anga country. Since monks are called recluses (samana) they ...
Sottiya, (=*śrotriya) well versed in sacred learning, a learned man M. I, 280; Sn. 533 sq. See...
Search found 3 books and stories containing Sotthija or Sotthiya. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles:
Maha Prajnaparamita Sastra (by Gelongma Karma Migme Chödrön)
Part 11 - Attaining saṃbodhi on a bed of celestial robes < [Chapter LI - Seeing all the Buddha Fields]
Apadana commentary (Atthakatha) (by U Lu Pe Win)
Establishing Many Monasteries < [Part 3 - Discourse on proximate preface (santike-nidāna)]
Enlightenment after Defeat of Māra < [Part 2 - Discourse on the non-remote preface (avidūre-nidāna)]
Various other 22 Buddhas < [Part 1 - Remote preface (dūre-nidāna)]
The Mahavastu (great story) (by J. J. Jones)
Chapter VIII - The conversion of Śāriputra and Maudgalyāyana < [Volume III]
Chapter XIV - The great renunciation < [Volume II]