Shivakirtana, Shiva-kirtana, Śivakīrtana: 3 definitions
Shivakirtana means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
The Sanskrit term Śivakīrtana can be transliterated into English as Sivakirtana or Shivakirtana, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
Languages of India and abroad
Sanskrit dictionarySource: DDSA: The practical Sanskrit-English dictionary
Śivakīrtana (शिवकीर्तन).—Name of Bhṛṅgi.
Derivable forms: śivakīrtanaḥ (शिवकीर्तनः).
Śivakīrtana is a Sanskrit compound consisting of the terms śiva and kīrtana (कीर्तन).Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
1) Śivakīrtana (शिवकीर्तन):—[=śiva-kīrtana] [from śiva] m. ‘Ś°-praiser’, Name of Bhṛṅgi or Bhṛṅgarīṭa (one of S°’s attendants), [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
2) [v.s. ...] Name of Viṣṇu, [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
3) [v.s. ...] n. the act of praising or celebrating Ś°, [Horace H. Wilson]
[Sanskrit to German] (Deutsch Wörterbuch)Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Böhtlingk and Roth Grosses Petersburger Wörterbuch
Śivakīrtana (शिवकीर्तन):—m. ein Lobpreiser Śiva’s:
1) ein Verehrer Śiva’s [Śabdaratnāvalī im Śabdakalpadruma] —
2) Beiname Viṣṇu’s [Trikāṇḍaśeṣa.1,1,31.] [Hemacandra’s Abhidhānacintāmaṇi 74.] [Medinīkoṣa Nalopākhyāna 248.] [Jaṭādhara] in [Oxforder Handschriften 190,b,12.] —
3) Beiname Bhṛṅgarīṭa’s [Medinīkoṣa Nalopākhyāna 248.]
Sanskrit, also spelled संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam), is an ancient language of India commonly seen as the grandmother of the Indo-European language family (even English!). Closely allied with Prakrit and Pali, Sanskrit is more exhaustive in both grammar and terms and has the most extensive collection of literature in the world, greatly surpassing its sister-languages Greek and Latin.
See also (Relevant definitions)
No search results for Shivakirtana, Shiva-kirtana, Śiva-kīrtana, Siva-kirtana, Śivakīrtana, Sivakirtana; (plurals include: Shivakirtanas, kirtanas, kīrtanas, Śivakīrtanas, Sivakirtanas) in any book or story.