Seniya, aka: Seṇiya; 3 Definition(s)
Seniya means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
Seniya, (fr. senā) belonging to an army, soldier J. I, 314. (Page 723)Source: Sutta: The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary
seṇiya : (m.) a guild-master.Source: BuddhaSasana: Concise Pali-English Dictionary
about this context:
Pali is the language of the Tipiṭaka, which is the sacred canon of Theravāda Buddhism and contains much of the Buddha’s speech. Closeley related to Sanskrit, both languages are used interchangeably between religions.
General definition (in Buddhism)
1. Seniya. A naked ascetic who practised the Canine vow, behaving like a dog. After his visit to the Buddha, as recorded in the Kukkuravatika Sutta (q.v.), he joined the Order and, in due course, became an arahant. M.i.387ff.
2. Seniya. The personal name, according to Buddhaghosa, of King Bimbisara (MA.i.292; but see SNA.ii.448, mahatiya senaya samannagatatta), who is almost always referred to as Seniya Bimbisara. Dhammapala says (UdA.104), however, that Bimbisara was called Seniya either because he had a large army, or because he belonged to the Seniya gotta (mahatiya senaya samannagatatta va Seniyagottata va).Source: Pali Kanon: Pali Proper Names
Search found 5 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Koliya, (adj.) (fr. kola) of the fruit of the jujube tree J. III, 22, but wrongly expld as kula...
Śenī (शेनी).—A mantrakṛt and of Angirasa branch.** Vāyu-purāṇa 59. 98.
Preached at Haliddavasana to Punna, follower of the Bovine Vow (living like an ox), and to Ac...
A township of the Koliyans. The Buddha, when staying there, preached the Kukkuravatika Sutt...
1. Ujjeni - The capital of Avanti. In the Buddhas time, Canda Pajjota (Vin.i.276; DhA.i.192)...
Search found 10 books containing Seniya or Seṇiya. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Silabbatupadana
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Kings Gift
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Uposatha And Patimokkha
- · The Buddha > Chief Disciples
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Gahapati Vagga
- · Sushruta Samhita, volume 1: Sutrasthana > Duties of army surgeon
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Sermon At Rajagaha
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > Kammic Descent and Kammic Ascent
- · Buddhist Monastic Discipline > Penalties And Punishments
- · Buddhist Monastic Discipline > Of The Patimokkha The Ritual
» Click here to see all 10 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.