Samara, 3 Definition(s)
Samara means something in Buddhism, Pali, Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
1a) Samara (समर).—A son of Kāvya; had three sons.*
- * Matsya-purāṇa 49. 54.
1b) One of the lineal descendants of Nīpa; capital Kampilya.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 176.
1c) A son of Nīla and lord of Kāmpilya; father of three sons, Pāra and two others.*
- * Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 40-1.
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Samara, (sa+mara) battle Dāvs. IV, 1 (Page 684)Source: Sutta: The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary
samara : (nt.) battle.Source: BuddhaSasana: Concise Pali-English Dictionary
Pali is the language of the Tipiṭaka, which is the sacred canon of Theravāda Buddhism and contains much of the Buddha’s speech. Closeley related to Sanskrit, both languages are used interchangeably between religions.
Search found 7 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1a) Para (पर).—That which is Pūrva in the Parārdha becomes Para in Aparārdha;1 ety. the ...
1a) Kāmpilya (काम्पिल्य).—A son of Bhramyāśva.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 21. 32.1b) A fifth ...
Samara Simha succeeded his father Kiratpala in Sonalgarh. His inscriptions bear the date 1182 A...
Satvadaśva (सत्वदश्व).—One of the three sons of Samara.** Vāyu-purāṇa 99. 177.
1a) Sadaśva (सदश्व).—A Satya god.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 36. 35.1b) A son of Samara.** Ma...
Sampāra (सम्पार).—A son of Samara.** Matsya-purāṇa 49. 54.
1a) Supāra (सुपार).—A son of Samara and father of Pṛthu.** Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 41, 42.1b...
Search found 15 books containing Samara. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Puru
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > What Is Paticcasamuppada?
- · The gods of northern Buddhism > ... > The Teaching
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 3 > ... > The Philosophy of Bhāskara’s Bhāṣya
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > He Who Follows The Way Of Paticcasamuppada Follows The Way Of The Blind.
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter LII
- · The Nilamata Purana > Verses 1301-1403
- · The Nilamata Purana > Verses 601-700
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Dana
- · Śrī Bhakti-rasāmṛta-sindhu > ... > Third Wave: Chivalry
- · The gods of northern Buddhism > ... > The Religious Community (sangha)
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter LXXIV
- · Śrī Kṛṣṇa-karṇāmṛtam > Read Contents
- · Śrī Bhakti-rasāmṛta-sindhu > ... > First Wave: Ecstatic Excitants
» Click here to see all 15 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.