Ratnavalisamudra, aka: Ratnāvalisamudra, Ratnavali-samudra; 1 Definition(s)
Ratnavalisamudra means something in Jainism, Prakrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
General definition (in Jainism)
Ratnāvalisamudra (रत्नावलिसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Ratnāvalidvīpa (or simply Ratnāvali), according to Jain cosmology. The Ratnāvalisamudra and Ratnāvalidvīpa are situated in the middle-world (madhyaloka), which contains innumerable concentric continents (dvīpa), each surrounded by their own ocean. The middle-world, as opposed to the upper-world (adhaloka) and the lower-world (ūrdhvaloka), is the only world where humans can be born. Ratnāvalisamudra is also known as plainly Ratnāvali.
Ratnāvalisamudra is recorded in ancient Jaina canonical texts dealing with cosmology and geography of the universe. Examples of such texts are the Saṃgrahaṇīratna in the Śvetāmbara tradition or the Tiloyapannatti and the Trilokasāra in the Digambara tradition.Source: Wisdom Library: Jainism
Search found 118 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Samudra (समुद्र) is the Sanskrit name for a deity to be worshipped during raṅgapūjā, accordi...
Ratnāvalī (रत्नावली) refers to “jewel-neckalce” and is classified as an ornament (ābharaṇa...
Samudra-muhūrta (समुद्र-मुहूर्त):—Name for a specific portion or phase of the day, use...
Ratnāvalidvīpa (रत्नावलिद्वीप) is one of the continents (dvīpa) of the middle-world (madhyaloka...
Sūryavarāvabhāsasamudra (सूर्यवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the c...
Kuṇḍalavarasamudra (कुण्डलवरसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent ...
Muktāvalivarasamudra (मुक्तावलिवरसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the conti...
Muktāvalivarāvabhāsasamudra (मुक्तावलिवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surroudi...
Śaṅkhasamudra (शङ्खसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Śaṅkha...
Śaṅkhavarāvabhāsasamudra (शङ्खवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the c...
Rucakavarasamudra (रुचकवरसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of ...
Ratnāvalivarāvabhāsasamudra (रत्नावलिवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surroudin...
Bhūtasamudra (भूतसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Bhūtadvī...
Ghṛtodasamudra (घृतोदसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Ghṛt...
Aruṇasamudra (अरुणसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Aruṇadv...
Search found 84 books containing Ratnavalisamudra, Ratnāvalisamudra or Ratnavali-samudra. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Trishashti Shalaka Purusha Caritra > ... > Notes on penances
- · Śrī Sanatkumara-saṃhita > Text 125
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.71
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.361
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.190
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 3 > ... > Antiquity of the Pañcarātra
- · The Mundaka Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Verse 2.1.9
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the narration of the family of Priyavrata
- · Trishashti Shalaka Purusha Caritra > ... > Part 1: Incarnation as Mahābala
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with L
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 4 > ... > The Bhāgavata-purāṇa (introduction)
- · Sushruta Samhita, Volume 6: Uttara-tantra > ... > Treatment of Pittaja Ophthalmia
- · Śrī Gauḍīya Kaṇṭhahāra > Appendix: Pramāṇa-tattva
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.21
- · The Prashna Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Verse 6.5
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XXVII
- · The Natyashastra > Abbreviations and Symbols
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter LXXVII
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 2 > ... > Śaṅkara and his School
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the story of Svāyambhuva Manu
» Click here to see all 84 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.