Rasashala, Rasaśālā, Rasa-shala: 2 definitions
Rasashala means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
The Sanskrit term Rasaśālā can be transliterated into English as Rasasala or Rasashala, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
Rasashastra (chemistry and alchemy)Source: Wisdom Library: Rasa-śāstra
Rasaśālā (रसशाला) is a Sanskit technical term referring to an “alchemical laboratory”. The term is used throughout Rasaśāstra literature.Source: CBSE: Chemistry in India
The rasaśālā (laboratory) should be built in a place wh ich is free from all fears and disturbances; is rich in all kinds of medicinal herbs; is very charming; is endowed with a well; and is located in the very auspicious northern, northeastern or eastern direction or region of the earth. Its building should be well protected with high boundary walls and it should be well equipped with all necessary instruments. (Rasaratnasamuccaya 7.1-2)
The working of rasaśālā is said to have been divided in the following eight divisions.
- In the eastern region of the rasaśālā should be installed a statue of Lord Bhairava [an aspect of Śiva].
- In the southeastern quarter the pharmaceutical operations involving the use of fire should be performed.
- In the southern part the works involving the use of stone made implements should be done.
- In southwestern quarter the operations involving the use of sharp instruments [śastras] such as cutting, slicing, etc. should be conducted.
- The western part should be used for washing, cleaning, etc. where the use of water is required.
- In the northwestern quarter the drying of the drugs or preparations should be done.
- In the northern region of the śālā should be done the works related to transformation of lower metals into higher metals [vedhakarmas],
- In the northeastern quarter of the pharmacy the prepared medicines or products should be stored.
Rasashastra (रसशास्त्र, rasaśāstra) is an important branch of Ayurveda, specialising in chemical interactions with herbs, metals and minerals. Some texts combine yogic and tantric practices with various alchemical operations. The ultimate goal of Rasashastra is not only to preserve and prolong life, but also to bestow wealth upon humankind.
See also (Relevant definitions)
No search results for Rasashala, Rasaśālā, Rasa-shala, Rasa-śālā, Rasasala, Rasa-sala; (plurals include: Rasashalas, Rasaśālās, shalas, śālās, Rasasalas, salas) in any book or story.
(+1 more products available)