Punyasena, aka: Puṇyasena; 1 Definition(s)
Punyasena means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Katha (narrative stories)
1) Puṇyasena (पुण्यसेन) is the name of a king from Ujjayinī whose death was faked in order to defeat the opposing king’s army, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, chapter 15. His story is told by Yaugandharāyaṇa to Rumaṇvat in the “Story of Puṇyasena”.
2) Puṇyasena (पुण्यसेन) is also mentioned in the fifth story of the Vetālapañcaviṃśati in the Kathāsaritsāgara, chapter 79. Accordingly, “... in Ujjayinī there lived an excellent Brāhman, the dear dependent and minister of King Puṇyasena, and his name was Harisvāmin. That householder had by his wife, who was his equal in birth, an excellent son like himself, Devasvāmin by name. And he also had born to him a daughter, famed for her matchless beauty, rightly named Somaprabhā”.
The Kathāsaritsāgara (‘ocean of streams of story’), mentioning Puṇyasena, is a famous Sanskrit epic story revolving around prince Naravāhanadatta and his quest to become the emperor of the vidyādharas (celestial beings). The work is said to have been an adaptation of Guṇāḍhya’s Bṛhatkathā consisting of 100,000 verses, which in turn is part of a larger work containing 700,000 verses.(Source): Wisdom Library: Kathāsaritsāgara
Katha (कथा, kathā) refers to narrative Sanskrit literature often inspired from epic legendry (itihasa) and poetry (mahākāvya). Some Kathas reflect socio-political instructions for the King while others remind the reader of important historical event and exploits of the Gods, Heroes and Sages.
Search found 3 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1) Harisvāmin (हरिस्वामिन्) is the name of a Brāhman from Ujjayinī, as mentioned in the fifth s...
1) Devasvāmin (देवस्वामिन्) is the name of one of two Brāhman brothers (the other being Karamba...
1) Somaprabhā (सोमप्रभा) is the name of an apsaras (heavenly nymph) born to Dharmagupta and Can...
Search found 1 books and stories containing Punyasena or Puṇyasena. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles: