Parayana Vagga, 1 Definition(s)
Parayana Vagga means something in Buddhism, Pali. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
General definition (in Buddhism)
The fifth and last division of the Sutta Nipata (SN.vs.976ff). It consists of sixteen suttas preceded by an introduction of fifty six Vatthugatha. The Vatthugatha describe how Bavari first heard of the coming of the Buddha from a devotee and sent sixteen of his pupils to visit the Buddha and find out if his claims to Enlightenment were true. A description of the route taken by them is also given. The sixteen suttas give the questions asked by Bavaris disciples and the answers given by the Buddha. The Culla Nidesa comments on the sixteen suttas, but makes no mention of the Vatthugatha. Perhaps, at one time, the Khaggavisana Sutta was attached to the Parayana Vagga.
The Parayana Vagga is mentioned in the Anguttara Nikaya (A.i.133, 134; ii.45; iv.63) and in the Samyutta Nikaya (S.ii.49), which is evidence of its having been one of the oldest collections. The Parayanaka Samiti is among the incidents represented in the Maha Thupa (Mhv.xxx.84). It is said (E.g., AA.i.57) that at the end of the discourses contained in the Parayana Vagga, fourteen crores of beings realized nibbana.
Buddhaghosa says (AA.ii.717) that the Parayana was so called because it leads to nibbana (nibbanasahkhatam param ayanato Parayana ti laddhavoharam dhammam).Parayana Sutta
The Buddha teaches the goal (parayana) and the path leading thereto. S.iv.373.Source: Pali Kanon: Pali Proper Names
Search found 401 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Parāyana, (Parāyaṇa) (nt.) (fr. parā+i, cp. Vedic parāyaṇa highest instance, also BSk. parāyaṇa...
1) Vagga, 2 (adj. -nt.) (vi+agga, Sk. vyagra; opposed to samagga) dissociated, separated; inc...
Gahapati, (gaha+pati. Vedic gṛhapati, where pati is still felt in its original meaning of “lord...
Yamaka, (fr. yama3) 1. (adj.) double, twin; only in foll. combns: °pāṭihāriya (& °hīra) the mi...
Upāsaka, (fr. upa + ās, cp. upāsati) a devout or faithful layman, a lay devotee Vin. I, 4, 16 (...
Devatā, (f.) (deva+tā, qualitative-abstr. suffix, like Lat. juventa, senecta, Goth. hauhipa, Oh...
Avijjā, (f.) (Sk. avidyā; fr. a + vid) ignorance; the main root of evil and of continual rebirt...
Gilāna, (adj.) (Sk. glāna, glā to fade, wither, be exhausted, expld suitably by “hāsa-kkhaya” a...
Jarā, (f.) & (older) jaras (nt.) (of the latter only the Instr. jarasā in use: Sn. 804, 1123 (=...
Thera, (Vedic sthavira. Derivation uncertain. It may come from sthā in sense of standing over, ...
Dāna, (nt.) (Ved. dāna, dā as in dadāti to give & in dāti, dyāti to deal out, thus: distributio...
Kodha, (Vedic krodha fr. krudh, cp. kujjhati) anger. Nearest synonyms are āghāta (Dhs. 1060=Nd2...
Sukha, (adj. -n.) (Vedic sukha; in R. V. only of ratha; later generally) agreeable, pleasant,...
Kamma, (nt.) (Vedic karman, work esp. sacrificial process. For ending °man=Idg. *men cp. Sk. dh...
Asura, (Vedic asura in more comprehensive meaning; connected with Av. ahurō Lord, ahurō mazdā°;...
Search found 142 books containing Parayana Vagga. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > (e) Maha Vagga Samyutta Pali
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > (b) Nidana Vagga Samyutta Pali
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > (c) Khandha Vagga Saihyutta Pali
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > (a) Sagatha Vagga Samyutta Pali
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Brahmapa Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Mulapariyaya Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Devadaha Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Sihanada Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Anupada Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Ciilayamaka Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Suññata Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Opamma Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Vibhahga Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Mahayamaka Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Vibhahga Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Gahapati Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Bhikkhu Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Paribbajaka Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Raja Vagga
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > (a) Sllakkhandha Vagga Pali
» Click here to see all 142 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.