Mitrāvaruṇeṣṭi, aka: Mitravaruna-Ishti; 1 Definition(s)
Mitrāvaruṇeṣṭi means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
Mitrāvaruṇeṣṭi (मित्रावरुणेष्टि).—A yajña performed by Manu for the birth of a son.*
- * Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 1. 8.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including religious ceremonies, various arts, sciences and historical legends. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 7 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1a) Mitrāvaruṇa (मित्रावरुण).—The scrotum of the Supreme Being;1 father of Agastya and V...
Antyeṣṭi (अन्त्येष्टि) is a very common term to mean the funeral. After th e death the funer...
Aindreṣṭi (अइन्द्रेष्टि).—Performed by Yuvanāśva for the birth of a son.** Bhāgavata-purā...
Varuṇa (वरुण) is a Sanskrit word for a weapon used in Purāṇic literature, such as the Devī-b...
Agastya (अगस्त्य) is a Sanskrit word referring to Sesbania grandiflora, a small tree from th...
Vaśiṣṭha (वशिष्ठ):—One of the mind-born sons of Brahmā, according to the Devī-bhāgavat...
Vaivasvatamanu (वैवस्वतमनु).—The seventh Manu, also known as ‘Śrāddhadeva’...
Search found 9 books containing Mitrāvaruṇeṣṭi or Mitravaruna-Ishti. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 3.232
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XXV
- · The Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa, Part III > ... > V, 2, 4. Fourth Brāhmaṇa
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the conversation between Nārada and the Bindhya Mountain
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the Devas praying to the Muni Agastya
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CLXXX
- · The Brahma Purana > Daksha’s Offspring
- · Gobhila-gṛhya-sūtra > Introduction
- · The Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa, Part V > Index to Parts III, IV, and V.
» Click here to see all 9 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.