Kritavarman, aka: Kritavarma, Kṛtavarman; 4 Definition(s)
1a) Kṛtavarman (कृतवर्मन्).—The eldest son of Hṛdīka.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa I. 14. 28; IX. 24. 27; Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 71. 140; Matsya-purāṇa 44. 81; Vāyu-purāṇa 96. 139; Viṣṇu-purāṇa 14. 24.
1b) A son of Dhanaka.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 23. 23.
1c) Was stationed to defend the East gate of Mathurā by Kṛṣṇa. Defeated Kūpakarṇa, a minister of Bāṇa; was sent to Hāstinapura by Kṛṣṇa to find out whether Pānḍavas had captured Drupada. He went and met Droṇa, Vidura and others, when Yudhiṣṭhīra made enquiries of Kṛṣṇa. He returned to Dvārakā after taking leave of them and narrated to Kṛṣṇa as he saw and heard; joined with Akrūra to set up Śatadhanvan to kill Satrājit and take the jewel Syamantaka (s.v.) as he did not give his daughter in marriage as promised. Refused to help Śatadhanvan who solicited for it.1 Was sent with the sacrificial horse of Kṛṣṇa.2 After the rājasūya, he was sent to Dvārakā for its defence.3 Went to Upalāvya to see the Pāṇḍavas, and to Syamantapañcaka for solar eclipse.4 His son was married to Cārumatī, a daughter of Rukminī.5 Survived Kurukṣetra war;6 Heard of Śatadhanva's death at Kṛṣṇa's hands, and left Dvārakā in fear.7 Got killed in the general Yādava contest.8
- 1) Bhāgavata-purāṇa X. 50. 20; [51 (V) 25], [30-31 and 64]; [56 (V) 2-15]; 57. 3-18; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 13. 67-83.
- 2) Bhāgavata-purāṇa X. 8-9. 22 .
- 3) Ib. X. 76. 7.
- 4) Ib. X. 78 [95 (V) 3]; 82. 7.
- 5) Ib. X. 61. 24.
- 6) Ib. X. 80. .
- 7) Ib. X. 57, 29.
- 8) Viṣṇu-purāṇa V. 37. 46.
1d) A son of Kanaka.*
- * Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 69. 8; Matsya-purāṇa 43. 13; Vāyu-purāṇa 94. 8.
Kritavarma (कृतवर्म): A notable Yadava warrior fighting on the side of Kaurava forces.
Kritavarman was the chief of the Bhojas, and the son of Hridika. The Bhojas were the traditional allies of the Vrishni's and Kritavarman was a particular friend of Satyaki. However, when it was time to chose sides in the great battle of Kurukshetra, Kritavarman went over to the side of the Kauravas, and Satyaki naturally fought on the side of the Pandavas, along with the other prominent Vrishnis.
1a) Kunti (कुन्ति).—The son of Dharmanetra and father of Samjaya (Sohañji, Bhāgavata-purā...
Vidura (विदुर).—A Kṣetraja son of Vicitravīrya (through the female servants of the queens...
Hari (हरि, “bearing , carrying”):—One of the twenty-four forms of Viṣṇu th...
1a) Droṇa (द्रोण).—Married Kṛpī, and was the father of Aśvatthāma.1 Taught Dhanurveda to...
Alambuṣā (अलम्बुषा) is the name of an apsara who fell in love with the vasu named Vidhūma at...
Bhīṣma (भीष्म).—Son of Śantanu; Grandsire of the Pāṇḍavas and Gangā. The best of Bharatas...
Yudhiṣṭhira (युधिष्ठिर).—The eldest of the Pāṇḍavas in the Mahābhārata, and the son of...
1a) Rukmiṇī (रुक्मिणी).—A daughter of Bhīṣmaka and known as Vaidarbhī. Married to Kṛṣṇa a...
Kṛpa (कृप):—The male child born of the two children born from the semen of Śaradvān th...
Duryodhana (दुर्योधन).—The eldest of the hundred sons of Dhṛtarāṣṭra and Gāndhāri;1 Subh...
Kalāvatī (कलावती) was the wife of King Kṛtavarman, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, chapte...
Balin (बलिन्).—A son of Kṛtavarman, married Cārumatī, a daughter of Kṛṣṇa.** Bhāgavata-pu...
Mṛgāvatī (मृगावती) is the daughter of King Kṛtavarman, according to the Kathāsaritsāgara, ch...
Kūpakarṇa (कूपकर्ण).—A minister of Bāṇa. Went with Jarāsandha to assault Mathurā. Fought ...
Hṛdika (हृदिक).—A son of Svayambhoja and the father of Kṛtavarman and nine other sons, an...
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The Jewel Syamantaka
- · Mahabharata > ... > Satyaki Follows the Path of Arjuna
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CLXXXVIII
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Fourteenth Day at Kurukshetra; Arjuna Makes His Way Toward Jayadratha
- · Mahabharata > ... > Ashvatthama Destroys the Pandava Army
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Race of Yadu, An account of Arjuna, the lord of a thousand arms
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Pandavas Prepare for War
- · Mahabharata > ... > The First Day of Combat: Duryodhana Gains the Upper Hand
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XVIII
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Anamitra and Andhaka
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Death of Salya
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Fall of Duryodhana
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Seventh Day of Combat
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter IX
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Eleventh Day of Rivalry; Dronacharya Becomes Commander
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section IV
- · Mahabharata > Sauptika Parva
- · The Mahabharata - Fourth Book > ... > Section LXXII
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XX
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Thirteenth Day at Kurukshetra; The Death of Abhimanyu
» Click here to see all 54 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.