Jambavati, aka: Jāmbavatī; 2 Definition(s)
Jāmbavatī (जाम्बवती).—The daughter of Jāmbavān given in marriage to Kṛṣṇa (Vāsudeva). She claimed Syamantaka as her śulka.1 Mother of Sāmba and three sons and a daughter.2 Welcomed by Draupadī to Indraprastha, she narrated to her how she married Kṛṣṇa.3 Mother of the daughters Bhadrāvatī and Sambodhinī.4
- 1) Bhāgavata-purāṇa X. 56. 32; 57. 41 ; 1. 11. 17. Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 7. 301; 71. 49. 242-50; Vāyu-purāṇa 96. 47, 233; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 13. 55, 63; 15. 35; V. 28. 4; 30. 35.
- 2) Bhāgavata-purāṇa III. 1. 30; X. 61. 12; 63. 1; Matsya-purāṇa 46. 26; 47. 14, 18; Viṣṇu-purāṇa V. 32. 2.
- 3) Bhāgavata-purāṇa X. 71. 42; 83. 10.
- 4) Vāyu-purāṇa 96. 241.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
General definition (in Buddhism)
A candali, mother of King Sivi and wife of Vasudeva of the Kanhayanagotta. Vasudeva saw her on his way to the park from Dvaravati, and, in spite of her birth, married her and made her his chief queen. J.vi.421.Source: Pali Kanon: Pali Proper Names
Search found 25 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Vasudeva (वसुदेव).—The father of Kṛṣṇa, and the half-brother of Nanda Mahārāja Vās...
1a) Vijayā (विजया) is the mother of Ajita, the second of twenty-four Tīrthaṅkaras in Jani...
Bhadrā (भद्रा, “gentle-woman”) refers to a specific “mode of address” (nāman) used in drama (nā...
Govinda (गोविन्द).—One of the seven major mountains in Krauñcadvīpa, according to the ...
The last king in the dynasty of Ikṣvāku will be Sumitra; after Sumitra there will be no more...
Laṅkā (लङ्का).—An upadvīpa to Jambūdvīpa; a great city in Trikūṭa; was besieged by Rāma a...
Drāviḍa (द्राविड).—A classification of prāsada (‘superstructure of a temple&rsqu...
1a) Kratu (क्रतु).—A son of Brahmā born of his hand; Married Kriyā, daughter of Kardama. ...
Śivi (शिवि) is the name of a king of ancient times, whose story is told in “Indra and ...
1a) Bhoja (भोज).—A Yadu prince. He once dreamt that he ate the remnants of the food of hi...
1a) Bhadrabāhu (भद्रबाहु).—A son of Śaṭha, of the Rohiṇī family,** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. ...
Bhadragupta (भद्रगुप्त) is the name of a Buddha under whom Śākyamuni (or Gautama, ‘the historic...
Jāmbavān (जाम्बवान्).—(Ṛkṣa)—the son of Rakṣā and Prajāpati (also Jāmbavat)—T...
Vyāghrī (व्याघ्री).—Wife of Jāmbavat; mother of Jāmbavatī.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 7. 301...
Māṭhara (माठर) is the Sanskrit name of one of Bharata’s sons, mentioned in the Nāṭyaśā...
Search found 25 books containing Jambavati or Jāmbavatī. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.5.23
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.7.47
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.7.74-75
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.7.148
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The Jewel Syamantaka
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Description of Usha the daughter of Bana
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Slaughter of Rukmini
- · Nectar of Devotion > Transcendental Affection (Servitude)
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Rukmini and Rukmi
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XVI
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Wedding of Samba, the son of Krishna
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > An account of the sons of Satvata
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The story of the previous birth of Shishupala and the sons of Vasudeva
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the Devī’s Highest Supremacy
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The curse of the sages and destruction of the Yadu race
- · Mahabharata > ... > Lord Krishna journeys to Indraprastha City
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The story of the Parijata tree
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the stealing away of Pradyūmna
- · Mahabharata > Mausala Parva
- · The Jataka, Volume VI > Index
» Click here to see all 25 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.