Jaimini, 2 Definition(s)
Jaimini means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
1a) Jaimini (जैमिनि).—A pupil of Vyāsa in charge of Sāma Veda (Chandogasamhitā). Was invited for Yudhiṣṭhira's Rājasūya. His disciple was Hiraṇyanābha;1 a Śrutaṛṣi who taught his son Sumantu;2 an authority on Yoga.3
- 1) Bhāgavata-purāṇa I. 4. 21; IX. 12. 3; X. 74. 8; XII. 6. 53 and 75. Vāyu-purāṇa 60. 13, 18; 61. 26; Viṣṇu-purāṇa III. 4. 9.
- 2) Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 1. 13; 34. 4 and 13; 35. 48; III. 33. 7; 35. 3; Viṣṇu-purāṇa III. 6. 1-2.
- 3) Vāyu-purāṇa 88. 207; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 4. 107.
1b) A Lāngala.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 61. 42.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
General definition (in Hinduism)
Jaimini (जैमिनि) does not appear till the Sūtra period. But a Jaiminīya-saṃhitā of the Sāmaveda is extant, and has been edited and discussed by Caland; and a Jaiminīya-brāhmaṇa, of which a special section is the Jaiminīya-upaniṣad-brāhmaṇa, is known and has formed the subject of several articles by Oertel.Source: archive.org: Vedic index of Names and Subjects
Search found 16 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Vyāsa (व्यास).—Name of a poet mentioned by Soḍḍhala in the kavipraśasti (eulogy of poets) of hi...
1a) Hiraṇyanābha (हिरण्यनाभ).—Of Kośala was a pupil of Sukarman and his pupil was Kṛta: a...
Saṃskāra (संस्कार).—Purificatory rites for house-holders; these do not help without the e...
Smṛti (स्मृति, “recollection”) is remembering every condition of happiness and m...
Veda (लोक) refers to the “revealed text”. It is one of the three means of valid ...
Markandeya-Purana (Sanskrit) One of the 18 principal Puranas of ancient India, named from it...
Purva Mimamsa Sutra (पूर्व मीमांसा सूत्र); The foundational text of Purva Mimamsa (पूर्व मीम...
Kumārila Bhaṭṭa, who likely flourished around 660 ce, was a proponent of the orthodox Brahma...
Mīmāṃsā (मीमांसा).—A philosophical system issuing from Brahmā's mouth;1 read by the Asur...
Vaśiṣṭha (वशिष्ठ):—One of the mind-born sons of Brahmā, according to the Devī-bhāgavat...
Sāmasaṃhitā (सामसंहिता).—A Veda imparted to Jaimini,1 who arranged it under Vyāsa's guid...
Mīmāṃsā is also known as Pūrva Mīmāṃsā ("prior" inquiry, also Karma-Mīmāṃsā), in c...
Sāmāni (सामानि).—Vaiṣṇava sāmas for Bhīmadvādaśi;1 sung by Gandharvas;2 Jaimini learnt ...
1a) Sukarman (सुकर्मन्).—A son of Śvaphalka.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 24. 16; Brahmāṇḍa-pur...
1a) Sutvāna (सुत्वान).—The name of the daityas.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa III. 6. 14.1b) A grand...
Search found 116 books containing Jaimini. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.1.13
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.7.156
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.1.5
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part II > ... > IV, 3, 12
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part II > ... > IV, 4, 11
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.7.155
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part II > ... > IV, 4, 5
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.1.6
- · Brahma Sutras (Shankara Bhashya) > ... > Adhikarana X - One who has taken the vow of lifelong celibacy (Sannyâsa) cannot revert back to his former stages of life
- · Brahma Sutras (Shankara Bhashya) > ... > Adhikarana XXVIII - Meditations on Vâyu and Prâna are to be kept separate in spite of the essential oneness of these two
- · Brahma Sutras (Shankara Bhashya) > ... > Adhikarana III - Characteristics of the soul that has attained the Nirguna Brahman
- · Brahma Sutras (Shankara Bhashya) > ... > Adhikarana XV - The good and evil deeds of a person
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.1.25
- · Brahma Sutras (Shankara Bhashya) > ... > Adhikarana XX - The negative attributes of Brahman mentioned in various texts are to be combined in all meditations on Brahman
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.7.88
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.7.89
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.1.19
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.7.90-91
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part I > ... > I, 2, 31
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.1.4
» Click here to see all 116 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.